Complete Newbie!

schristie
schristie Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Hi,

I'm a Ludite Mum in my late 50's, so I've no right to be here really. A complete fraud! πŸ˜…

I needed to make a short 5 minute advertising reel / clip for our holiday house in the Western Isles of Scotland and guess what Mr Google recommended? πŸ˜‰

Definitely a steep learning curve for me. No such thing as Comp. Sci. or Coding when I was a kid. Thankfully, I don't need to code to use this program (thank you God!) but a lot of the keyboard shortcuts that younger folk take for granted as assumed knowledge, are not a part of my vocabulary / repertoire.

I hope to get better at using the program. I'm going to take lots of images / video when we are next up in the Hebrides (lockdown permitting) and who knows, I might get to be a half decent nature and wildlife film maker. Stranger things have happened! 😊

Comments

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@schristie If you need any help with anything that you are working on, please don't hesitate to ask. We are a friendly bunch around here! 😁

• premiere_studios
    premiere_studios Posts: 119 Enthusiast

The FXHome team has created a masterclass on just learning the software and the "Hitfilm Basics"

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Welcome to Hitfilm. @Premiere_Studios listed a good starter course for you. As @FilmDude1@FilmSensei says, if you have questions, bring them!

Assuming you're combining video clips and photos with some music, focus on the Editor Timeline first. Just worry about learning what you need to trim your clips to use the bits you want and getting them in the right order. This is the majority of what you want to do.

If you decide you want to have your photos animate - zoom, pan, etc - then I'd still say get the basic edit done first. Get everything on the Timeline in the order you want and any music added in, then worry about the stills.

For animation you need the basics of key framing - you'll define positions 1 and 2 and let the computer handle the rest. The two parameters you'll want to understand are "Position" (where the image is) and "Scale" (size of the image). An animated pan/zoom will come down to setting two key frames for position and scale. Start and end.

But, again, worry about the basics of editing first, then animating stills. Splitting your learning into segments will be 1) easier to digest, 2) you'll feel better - you'll be happy and accomplished once you have a good basic edit, and more ecstatic once you do the fancy zooms.