Length of FXhomes tutorials

freerider74
freerider74 Posts: 7 Just Starting Out
edited December 2020 in General

I like the themes of FXhomes tutorials and the selection of effects being showcased. However, I find the tutorials to short - not all steps are being shown, sometimes it feels more like a showreel.

Yes, you could argue that "if you can't do the tutorial you're not qualified for this tutorial, go back and do a three year old basic turorial made for an earlier version first.. bla bla"

But how about this: why not release two different cuts, one "short" (5-10 minutes) and a longer cut about 30-40 minutes that newbies can follow more easily?

Comments

• apyorick
    apyorick Posts: 64 Enthusiast

I don't know - maybe it's just a matter of personal preference, but I'm a relative newbie and I really like their tutorials. They're scripted, succint and to the point. If I miss or don't understand something I just pause and go back over it a couple of times. They're also broken down into easily digestible units. But again, maybe it's me because I really don't like long tutorials that ramble on and on unscripted.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,297 Moderator

For every minute of video you see, there’s probably at least 3 hours of work that went into the production of it (and that’s just regular hours, it takes even more man-hours). While your rate of return does get a bit better for longer content, anything longer than about 10 minutes would make it virtually impossible to keep up with their current twice-a-week upload schedule... and even then, they only save the 10-minuters for special occasions.

The problem for FXhome is that they’re a software business that doesn’t make money off their YouTube videos directly, but through sales of the software to users that watch their videos. Because of the way the YouTube algorithm works, they have to produce as much high quality content as they can, as often as possible, and try to reach as many people as possible.

Unfortunately, all this means that long and detailed videos take a back seat, at least for FXhome’s channel. Luckily, there are community members who take the long form for their tutorials and videos. @FilmSensei has a Udemy class that goes into plenty of detail about HitFilm and it’s many ins and outs. @Triem23 has his HitFilm University channel on YouTube with extremely detailed and technical information that can help you master the software. There’s supposed to be an updated version coming somewhat soon if I recall.

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 213 Enthusiast

Since the tutorial often go too fast, I like to use youtube's speed function to decrease the speed to .75x or .5x.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

I think OP is talking about the lack of direction and clarification of expected skill level for any given tutorial, not to mention theres no attention to continuity. Whether this is caused by their schedule or not is completely irrelevant. Its still valid feedback and it should be adressed, a second channel ment to host livestreams and longer videos?

Perhaps a scoring system for skill in different areas, e.g animating, editing, etc. Theres probably a better way, but it still annoys me, as well. I probably understand how the hardware interacts, which is by the way void of logic in most cases as its circumvented by weird things. So for me its not an on rails safe experience either, its like learning a different language, though thats not unique to HitFilm. Adobe and many others take too many shortcuts too.

This is not a topic that can be defended. They have the funds and expertise to get this done in a way which would please OP, me and many others. They just choose not to because its prioritised lower. Perhaps theyre doing these as their own side projects, which would be concerning but its also just speculation.

The quality of the videos and the intended market audience for HitFilm have long been out of sync. Its overtime turned into this FOMO trend channel, leaving the actual creative process on the sidelines, along with the majority of their novice userbase, like myself, at least in VFX.