HitFilm 15 and 16 both crash says "Hitfilm pro is not responding"

andybeeker
andybeeker Posts: 5 Enthusiast

I recently upgraded from the latest version of Hitfilm 15 to the new Hitfilm 16. When I open the program and select new project, after it loads up the main screen it immediately freezes up adn it says "Hitfilm pro is Not Responding" the screen turns white and asks do I want to wait for it to respond or close the program. I uninstalled HitFilm 16 and reinstalled Hitfilm 15.2.1 thinking I could just use the old version for now until I get it fixed but the exact same problem happened with version 15.2.1. I also use the latest version of Vegas Post Suit 365. I first noticed this problem when right clicking on a video track and selecting "edit in hitfilm" When I did that Hitfilm would load up but then freeze and say "Hitfilm pro is Not Responding" So I said fine screw it and then I uninstalled Vegas Post Suit 365 and I uninstalled Hitfilm. Restarted the computer and all that... I then only installed Hitfilm because I figured I would just directing import and edit the clip in Hitfilm. At this point I was assuming Vegas Pro was causing the issue but obviously now that I have explained all this I do not know what is causing the problem?

I am completely lost on what to do. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Also I do have the most recent Nvidia Studio Driver installed version 460.89 12/15/2020

Alienware Aurora R8

Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  3.60 GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB

Installed RAM   32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)

Edition   Windows 10 Home

Version   20H2

Installed on   ‎6/‎17/‎2020

OS build   19042.685

Experience   Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Andy, I started getting crashes after installing the 460.89 driver. I rolled back one driver version and that fixed my issue.

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 213 Enthusiast
  • Triem23

@spyresca Funny you ask that. One machine is on a Game Ready driver, the other the Studio Driver, but I rolled both back.

• spyresca
    edited December 2020

Studio Driver is designed to be more stable for creative applications like HF. It's one reason they don't update it as often as the "game ready" variant.

Since I got away from using the "game ready" drivers, my system has been much more stable overall. I also make sure the built in UHD (in my case 630) intel drivers are always up to date. Some programs (not sure about HF) leverage both the cpu's graphics (UHD 630 for me) in addition to the discrete gpu (nvidia whatever).

• Triem23

@spyresca Hitfilm only uses a single GPU at this point, so it's not leveraging the nvida and UHD 630.

Just updated Intel drivers this week.

• RichardBehrens
    RichardBehrens Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

I upgraded to hitfilm 16 as well. The program opens but when I tried to do the Foundry camera tracker tutorial, the camera tracker crashes the program every time I try to employ it.

• spyresca

Hm, I updated to the "Studio Driver" 460.89 (same as was giving you issues) and HF 16.0 pro doesn't seem any less stable than before.

• andybeeker

Hey Guys sorry for the late response.

I am using the Nvidia studio driver 460.89. I haven't tried to role it back to see if it helps at all. But I will do that today and then report back with my findings.

Thank you

• spyresca

If anyone is using the current nvidia "game ready" drivers for Hitfilm, strongly recommend trying the "Studio Driver" instead. It's optimized/stabilized for content creation. Since I started using it, my system has been more stable and my games seem to work great.

• TerryS
    TerryS Posts: 127 Enthusiast

I'm running Game Ready 460.89

I have no problem launching HitFilm Express 16 & HitFilm Pro 9.0.7813.7206

I installed the driver the day it was released and have not experienced any problems I'm aware of.

I'm running Windows 10 Home 20H2 OS build 19042.685

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

The game ready driver will be more stable more often than the studio driver. It exists because game ready simply means that nvidia releases an update for a game shortly after its been released, alongside hotfixes, its a lot like the BETA and WHQL drivers except studio only tests the "new" cards.

If theres no update for the studio driver after the game ready driver has been updated, then the game ready driver will be more stable and more up to date. However offer everything the studio driver in "studio" applications does so far, because the game ready driver receives every update the studio driver does, vice versa, however at different time intervals.

If you want to stay up to date, get the latest driver version regardless if youre a gamer or not, because its still optimizing drawcalls and viewport performance, nvidia unlike amd are still working with OpenGL not just OpenCL.

Its just nvidia marketing noise. What youre experiencing is placebo.

----

@andybeeker Since youre using a Dell (they own Alienware) , read this https://fxhome.com/faqs/view/78

As a side note. For these types of crashes I always recommend the process of elimination.

Task manager -> Startup -> Disable 1 entry at a time with a system reboot and try to launch HitFilm before repeating the steps

----

Driver issues should always be tested by using DDU, its got capabilities far beyond Nvidias and Windows own uninstallers/"fresh" installers, even if you just want to try an older driver

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

• andybeeker

Ok so I have tried everyone's suggestions and nothing fixed it. I have basically uninstalled almost all software just trying to eliminate the cause of the problem. The only thing I have not tried yet is Using DDU. Also my Dell/Alienware Aurora R8 did not have any backup and recovery software or re spawn but It did have dell support assistant and Alienware software update and stuff like that. So I just un installed all of it but of course I open Hitfilm pro 16 click on new project or open an existing one and it will not even let me click on anything before the program becomes unresponsive. I installed The latest version of hitfilm Pro 16 on my 6 year old DellXPS 8700 desktop and the program runs perfectly. And of course the $3000 Alienware is the one not working correctly lol go figure... Well like I was just telling the guy from FXHOME on Instagram it is 4:30am here in Ohio so I am going to bed. I will check back in about 6-8 hours.

Thank you again for everyone's ideas and suggestions.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

it will not even let me click on anything before the program becomes unresponsive.

Do you use dpi scaling on your monitor? Text scaling in the Display settings window when right clicking on the desktop

I have basically uninstalled almost all software just trying to eliminate the cause of the problem

By that, you mean "Disable" in the startup tab of task manager right? Background programs are the only programs that can interfere since they run automatically on boot even if you don't launch anything.

How many displays and resolution of each?

The cause could be something odd we might not be thinking about. For instance, my draw tablet, brand called Huion. Its driver was causing my Adobe Photoshop to crash a few moments after launching it. I quickly found out that it was the driver since i did follow the process i described above, so i was lucky.

Assuming youve tried all the common things like turning off anti virus, exceptions list, etc

• spyresca
    edited December 2020

Strongly disagree. The "Studio Ready driver" which has always made my system more stable when using creative programs (hitfilm, etc.) And one reason is that it doesn't change as often just to chase the newest game release (which can introduce regressions and has actually done so for me).

• andybeeker

Kevin, Yes I do use dpi scaling. I have 2 LG 49inch 4k tv's as my main two monitors. Then I also have a 27inch Planar touch screen monitor I use for other programs. I do not use the touch screen monitor for Hitfilm or Vegas Pro etc. Also I have a 42 inch Insignia tv that is plugged into the Graphics card but I very rarely use it because I have it located on the other side of my studio in my recording booth I use for Voice Over work.

I don't know if this was overboard or not but I shut down My alienware desktop, unplugged all the monitors except the main LG 49in 4k that is right in front of me. After rebooting everything HitFilm worked just fine. I was just randomly adding some of my video clips and some stuff from Productioncrate and after about 10 minutes of some very light editing or compositing, Hitfilm locked up on me again saying it was not responding.

To answer your other question, no I did not Disable in the startup tab of task manager. I was actually uninstalling any software I thought would interfere with Hitfilm. I guess that was pointless. So at this point I know if I am only running one monitor then Hitfilm will at least work for a while before it crashes. Oh and the text scaling thing in display settings I am pretty sure i have never messed with that. I do have the dpi scaling checked in the Hitfilm setting because if I don't then everything is really small on these 49inch 4ktv/monitors. Also My main monitor LG4k 49in I am running it at 4k and in the display scale settings I have it set to 225%. It does recommend 300% but then to me everything is oversized on the screen. The second LG4k 49in tv/monitor is set at 1080p and 150% scaling. The 27 inch Planar touch screen monitor is 1080p and scaling is set to 100%, the 42 inch insignia tv/monitor in my sound booth is 1080p and is set to 100% scaling. I normally only use the 2 LGtvs. The touch screen one is used about half the time and the tv in the sound booth is used like a few times a month. My main LG 4k display is connected using an HDMI 2.0 cable and the other 3 tv's/monitors are connected to the graphics card with display port cables.