HitFilm Express (trial version) question

thebillbo
thebillbo Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

This is my first post here and fair warning I'm new to FX and video editing in general. With HitFilm Express (trial version) is there a limit to video length?

I like what I've tried of the software so far but I can't export a video I made which is 19 minutes long. I was able to export a 6 second video yesterday so I was able to export before this.

help is appreciated. :)

Tagged:

Comments

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 168 Enthusiast

Did you activate the software?

• thebillbo

Yes I believe so, I had to activate it to get rid of the watermark which I've done.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

1) you aren't running a trial version. You've activated the software and are running the full version of Hitfilm Express.

2) I believe the absolute length limit in Hitfilm is 24 hours. 19 minutes is nothing.

3) Therefore, something else ia crashing the software. First we need to know your system specs - CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and Storage. Have you run all critical OS updates and are your GPU Drivers current? What is the source of any videos you're editing? Phone/Tablet, DSLR/Mirrorless, Video/Cinema camera, screen capture, download from web?

• thebillbo

1: Good to know as I didn't realize, I assume it'll ask me to buy a package after a month or something like that?

2: Also good to know. 😂

3: AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU, AMD 5700 GPU, Win10, 24GB 2666MHz RAM, SSD drive.

The GPU drivers are current and I think the OS updates automatically with restart/shut down when there's an update.

I'm trying to editing videos game clips captured with Radeon Relive (mp4 format)

I'm not entire;y sure why I don't have the export option this time around.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

Nah, Express won't bug you to buy. You'll get the occasional email.

Windows Updates can have a bad habit of rolling back GPU drivers. It's worth double checking those.

I'm not familiar with Radeon Relive, but most screen capture apps record variable frame rate. You might be able to force Relive to record constant frame rate.

To check this, download MediaInfo (it's free), generate a "Tree" report of one of your source files and paste it here. Here's a MediaInfo tutorial.

If it's VFR we'll get into the next steps. If it's not a driver or VFR issue, well, we're a user forum (including mods/ambassadors and anyone without a "Staff" badge, so the next step would be FXHOME Support.

We'll hope for a driver or VFR issue cuz those are easy to fix. Support will be slow in this Xmas to New Year's period. Holiday hours for the hard working team.

• EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Website User Posts: 300 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

HitFilm Express has no artificial limits on track numbers or length of render.

There are options in it flagged as zdd ons that are included in the Pro version and there are a few things that are pro only but I used Express for client work (mostly talking heads for small businesses) for about 1.5 yearsbefore buying Pro back in 2017.

If you use an effect flagged as addon you'll get a watermark but that's mostly to let you test out effects before you buy an add on pack. The packs are really inexpensive if you only need a couple of effects and there is even a heavily discounted "humble bundle", pay what you want, type option for charity.

As for you crashing, it's PROBABLY, a problem with the media ... probably.

• thebillbo

Okay good news guys.

I booted up the software again today and the "start exporting" button in the viewer/export section was still greyed out. However I now noticed that there's an export extension at the top of the page.

Export>To file>select file desination and now the video is being processed. :)

I'm really pleased with this software as I've always been terrible with video editing and was willing to give up again after struggling with DaVinci Resolve.

I think I may pick up the starter pack to support this software/company going forward. :)

Can anyone tell me what the main benefits would be to upgrading to the starter pack?

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 168 Enthusiast

All the information concerning the started pack is here, in detail.