import Blender FBX and Alembic

sbrady
sbrady Posts: 40 Enthusiast
edited December 2020 in General

I found the tutorial on the bi-plane, fbx and alembic. I found a blender (v2.90.1) bi-plane model. I exported FBX exactly as they said. Then I exported the animation, the prop goes in circles. I imported the fbx (Hitfilm 11.2) and nothing I did would get the plane to show in the window or on the timeline. Any suggestions. Maybe I need to get the latest Hitfilm. Why not, it's Christmas. I deserve it.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Did you open the layer controls for the model, open up the "Model" tab and drag the animation from the Media Bin to the Animation tab in the model layer?

• sbrady

I have an bi-plane model in obj format. It comes in to Hitfilm fine.

I have a particle system that uses the bi-plane for every particle.

I have a propellor that is also obj. It works in Hitfilm......almost

I have the bi-plane particle system DUPLICATED for the propellor.

I have the Blender animation of the prop spinning exported as Alembic, abc

The abc file does not animate the propellor.

I can spin the X rotation on the sourse propellor and see ALL particle propellors follow the main propellor. But if I keyframe the source propellor, nothing happens.

I know this is hard to follow, just trying to figure it out.

• sbrady
    edited December 2020
  • GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

Interesting workflow. Question though. Why not animate a single prop on a single model? The particle system will replicate the single animated model. Guess I should try it before you answer...

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

Have you seen this: Simon animates the Hero ship and then uses the model in the Particle system for the fleet of ships.

I did recall correctly. I did a quick test to refresh my tired brain b4 I answered. Simply break the prop away from the model. (2 pieces - plane-prop). Export out of Blender. Import into Hitfilm. In the import box under Groups you should have 2 Groups: plane and prop. Check mark prop and finish importing. Then in the model Transforms properities under Prop simply animate the prop with keyframes. No animation files needed.

It's not exactly your work flow but will accomplish what you need.

FYI - In this video FXHome details how to select the props on a c-130 and animate them

Hope it helps smooth out your workflow.👍

• sbrady
    edited December 2020

thanks everybody, just got my xmas bonus from work, guess I should jump from v11 to v16 for Christmas, right?

I see Davinci Resolve has a new magic button, click and drag on a "human", and it masks the shape 98% accurate, and it tracks the shape too, Hitfilm needs this.

I did NOT get email when my question was answered, what the......