Cutting Layer new Line

131242345 Posts: 19 Just Starting Out
edited December 2020 in General

Every Time i slice a Layer, it creates a new Line, which is totally useless for me. How can i prevent this?

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,433 Ambassador

@131242345 Not sure exactly what your question is about but if you are referring to the Slice tool on the timeline, those lines are there to tell you where you made your slice. They indicate that you have made your clip into multiple sections. You could just leave them there and do nothing and your clip will play through as before.

But the Slice tool is used mostly for editing. For example, I have made two slices on a clip as shown in the image below indicating the area I want delete. Click the arrow icon or hit the V key to put your mouse back to select mode and click the area to delete. It turns blue. Hit the Delete key to remove it or Alt Del for Ripple Delete.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,297 Moderator

It sounds like you are in the Composite shot timeline, which will always move the second half of a slice to a new layer. This cannot be changed. Composite shots are not designed for editing.

In the editor timeline, a slice adds a cut and the clip remains on the same track

131242345 Posts: 19 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

Yeah but i mean not in Timeline, i mean in Composite shot.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,433 Ambassador
    edited December 2020

@131242345 As @triforcefx said using the Slice tool in a composite shot creates a new layer of the clip at the point of the slice. This is as designed. If that new layer is no longer needed then simply select it and Delete.

Note that deleting the unwanted layer is non-destructive. You can go back to the first layer you sliced and drag out the end to change the length and repeat the slice in a new location if so desired.

This Slice/New Layer feature in a comp shot gives you the ability to add different effects to multiple areas of the same original clip - so it is useful.