[Feature] Connecting Audio software to current audio tracks in HF

Andersen01498
Andersen01498 Posts: 1,198 Enthusiast

I would love to see a way to connect your audio software to current audio tracks. Adobe has a way to send your clips to audition. Vegas has a way to connect your audio clips. It would be superb if HF can do the same. Voice over recordings in HF are useless because you can't clean up your audio in HF.

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,342 Ambassador

Voice over recordings in HF are useless because you can't clean up your audio in HF.

Not necessarily. HitFilm does have audio effects, though admittedly they aren't as robust as those found in tools like Audacity, Reaper, Audition, etc. That said, I agree with your suggestion. It would be interesting if it could be implemented as sort of an audio equivalent of the "Export Frame" feature, where audio from a video clip could be instantly exported to a file, then automatically re-imported to replace the existing audio, meaning that any changes to the file would automatically update in HitFilm.

• HitFilmer53348
    HitFilmer53348 Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

The interchange could also happen with OMF/AAF, if a link-plugin makes no sense to develop. Please add that feature in any kind.

There must a -all track - with handle length - export option in my opinion.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,198 Enthusiast

Thats an interesting thought @HitFilmer53348

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,299 Power User

This could be as simple as adding a panel to the File>Options Menu for "External Editors" here one could add an audio editor, photo editor (Imerge), 3D app and even *gasp* another NLE. Here one would point to the EXE of the desired program.

A right-click menu item for "Open in External Editor" for the Media Bin and Clip/Track/Layer menu could send the media asset to the selected program. We'll stick with audio for this discussion. So, right-clicking and sending the media to the external editor would open editor and media. When saving and returning to Hitfilm the media file would update.

Caveat - this would require the "close media when Hitfilm isn't the active application setting to be locked on forever - else the asset is uneditable.

Caveat - the tricky part seems to be the code getting the external editor to auto-open the selected asset. Particularly tricky for (example) 3D assets to Blender where it's getting Hitfilm to do an Import function.

• wimverdouw
    wimverdouw Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*

I've been using Hitfilm Express for a year now and one of the biggest drawbacks I found is the lack of manipulating audio besides basic levels, balance and some effects. Usually, when there is a question about this on the forum, one is referred to external solutions like Audacity.

How about if you enable copying and pasting to and from Audacity, without having to export to files first, only to have to open or import that same file a little while later? You could copy a selected audio clip or maybe several selected audio-clips to the (OS-)clipboard and then paste it into another program. When pasting back into Hitfilm, it would become one audio-track in the media-bin and could then be used in the project.

In this way:

a) editing audio would be so much faster and

b) there is hardly any need to build all kinds of (audio-)functionality in Hitfilm anymore.

I'd like to hear if this is feasable, as I am no developer.

• wimverdouw
    edited April 2021

I'm sorry, it appears this feature (albeit a little bit differently implemented) was already asked for in "[Feature] Connecting Audio software to current audio tracks in HF"

https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/55222/feature-connecting-audio-software-to-current-audio-tracks-in-hf

• wimverdouw

Even though I fully support the comments made, I have another suggestion, that is possibly easier to implement: maybe you could use the (OS-)clipboard to transfer (audio-)data between HF and eg. Audacity. This way, one could use "CTRL-C" and copy that audioclip (maybe it should be unlinked before the copy-action) to the clipboard and use "CTRL-V" to paste it into the desired program. Also, you could use this on multiple selected audio-clips.

When pasting back into Hitfilm, the audioclip would appear as a (new) media-item and could from there be used into the project.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,342 Ambassador

@wimverdouw I've done a little development, though not delving into copy-paste implementation, but I'm not sure that such behavior would be very easy to implement, if it's even possible.

Let's look at text as an example. My gut feeling is that the reason that copying and pasting text between applications is fairly straightforward because text is just text. Even if it's styled text, there's a way to store that text in the copy buffer so that any other program can still read the text, even if it can't/won't/chooses-not-to recognize the styling.

However, I don't think that there's such a standard way of representing audio data in the copy buffer. My gut feeling is that each program that implements copying and pasting of audio most likely does so in a way that's unique to that program. It's likely not just the audio that's stored in the copy buffer, but very possibly other data that only that particular application recognizes. When you copy an audio item in HitFilm, HitFilm knows how to treat that item when pasted because that copied item contains audio plus other data specific to HitFilm. Allowing that item to also be pasted into Audacity, Reaper, Sound Forge, ProTools, Cubase, etc. would only be possible if a) there were a standard way of representing audio data in the copy buffer and separating it from other application-specific data (similar to storing text), or b) the HitFilm devs stored the data in a format compatible with [insert program here], meaning that you could no longer copy and paste audio inside of HitFilm.

• wimverdouw

@CleverTagline You may well be right. Especially the part about the extra data needed by Hitfilm itself makes sense.

I still think it would be so much easier to be able to cut and paste audio throughout programs, but I can see now that it's probably not as simple as I initially thought.

Then I guess some translation should be provided and can be chosen by a panel "External editors", as Triem23 suggested.