I have imported an MP4 of images moving over a dull white bg. How can I brighten the white bg?

bws92082
bws92082 Posts: 6 Just Starting Out
edited December 2020 in Post-production techniques

I have imported an MP4 video of simple images moving over a dull white background. How can I brighten the white background?

It's gotta be simple--I'm a beginner. And it doesn't have to be perfect--just a marginal improvement is okay.

Comments

• EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Posts: 301 Enthusiast

It depends on the video.

You could use a simple curve to brighten the highlights but thats going to brighten all the highlights not just the background.

You would mask out the background and just brighten that but it depends on the animations.

You could go back to whoever made the video and have them fix the source ... unless the footage is stolen?

No easy suggestion without seeing the video.

• misra15
    misra15 Posts: 29 Enthusiast

I'd suggest using a curves effect. However, that is if you are comfortable with having the highlights of the images also brightened. Otherwise if you are only targeting the background and your system meets the specs use the magic mask in Resolve 17 by making marks on the moving images then inverting the mask to only include the background. Afterward use the curve to brighten your background.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 386 Enthusiast

Are the images all the same dimensions? Then something like masking them out, and put a white plane behind the clip could work