ERROR on new laptop

iamkhanproductions
iamkhanproductions Posts: 403 Enthusiast

hi all I'm getting this error on my laptop, im not at home for a bit. So im using my laptop to edit stuff.

specs

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,548 Ambassador

@iamkhanproductions Looks like you are below spec with the CPU which I see listed as 2nd Gen. Check minimum specs here: https://fxhome.com/support/hitfilm-express 4th Gen is the minimum.

Also you did not list your GPU which I assume will be below spec as well. Best thing to try is make sure all drivers are updated. Best if GPU driver comes from the manufacturer and not M$.

• iamkhanproductions

that's a shame, but my laptop can run most of my sound engineering well.. even fl studio & sony vegas pro 15 & luminar photo editor.

gutted..

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 224 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

Even a new potato computer is still a potato and will have its limits.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

I assume cl is referring to the API, in which case as of version 16 you're below min specs. There was recently a brief conversation about that on the last page of this thread https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/55155/hitfilm-express-16-wont-open-missing-entry-point-tannen-dll#latest

• iamkhanproductions

Would it be worth getting an external GPU?

Just for the sake of running hitfilm express. Because I still don't mind that my laptop runs my Audio production software.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

Would it be worth getting an external GPU?

No because youll likely be left with a paper weight and or not happy with its performance. Your laptop doesnt support thunderbolt 3 which would be my only recommendation for a eGPU. With trial and error it may work with older versions, and even if it did, an eGPU is not guaranteed to work, this is also true for laptops with Thunderbolt 3. Some manufacuters dont spec their laptops with this in mind, especially true for any non mid-high end gaming model.

The reason for the thunderbolt requirement is it is the only notable connection that supports hot swap, high throughput as well as the most important spec, PCIe pass through.

For these reasons, USB, EC, mPCIe and M.2/SSD slots are out of the question for any GPU's newer than the Nvidia 10xx series and for most setups in general. Out of these, EC2/3 will be your best bet, up to 8 GBps throughput but hardly something id recommend due to the need for open, very dangerous connections sitting next to you. EC is short for Expresscard.

Thunderbolt just streamlines it in a safe manner using a eGPU enclosure. The other connections will in comparison to Thunderbolt be the much weaker and more dangerous MacGyver DIY version, assuming no custom enclosure for the added components.

• iamkhanproductions

Thanks 👍👍