Superior Spider-Man Stop-Motion (Mini-Series) Ep. 1

WarTV14
WarTV14 Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

This is my second time posting on here on the show off panel. I want to get better at compositing overall and thought this would be a good place to start. I'll be doing an extended version and wanted to get some input for that release. If this is in the wrong place just let me know or move appropriately. Thanks

Comments

• georgefilmltd
    georgefilmltd Website User Posts: 462 Enthusiast
    1. This is were you show things that you make, for help there are other categories,
    2. That was Great! Especially the music, intro, and stop motion
    3. One thing to note is that some of your effects go out of the letterbox, to not do this, drag your letterbox layer above all other layers
    4. Great Effects!
  • tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,889 Moderator

@WarTV14 Very well done animation. Stop Motion is the hardest form to do in my opinion and yours was spot on. In fact, I'd say on par with Dafter Things.

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Website User Posts: 966 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

It looks and sounds fantastic. Titles look great and your shot composition is great and really like the lighting.

The effects are well handled. Not 100% sure of the web contracting but it's only really noticeable frame-by-frame.

TBH : This is way beyond my level of animating and production although, in my defence, it's a different type of content using different figures 😀

• RikVargard
    RikVargard Website User Posts: 98 Enthusiast

That was great! And funny! Well done!😀👍️

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,580 Ambassador

Oy, Otto is gonna hurt those stormtroopers...

Very well put together, nicely animated and edited, pretty good acting, great music choices.

Three minor nits.

1) For me some of the holds-in-black are a couple seconds too long.

2) Others have brought up the web effects. Right now you have the color on your lightning set to pure white (255, 255, 255), which is making the webbing too bright. I'll bet if you drop it to something closer to (220, 220, 220) it'll look better. Use an eyedropper tool to get a color off a lit part of the stormtroopers. The web shouldn't be brighter than the armor.

3) Others have brought up effects extending past the letterbox. This could be an artistic choice (the 2016 Ghostbusters, for example allowed effects to overlap the letterbox, but this was done on the 3D cut to allow things coming "forward" out of frame to be a bit more immersive.). However, while @GeorgeFilm suggested adding letterbox last, I'm going to suggest you actually change your project resolution. Here's why.

If you export at (say) 1920x1080 with a letterbox you're rendering black bars into the frame. This could be most noticeable when viewing on a device with a non 16:9 aspect ratio, like my phone (OnePlus 7t with a 1080x2400 20:1 display). "Filling the screen" is still leaving black bars at the top.

Instead, figure out the aspect ratio you want (2.35:1 and 2.4:1 are the most common "cinema" ratios) and do some division. For 1920x1080 we get.

1920/2.35=817

1920/2.4=800.

For safety/technical reasons your output resolution should always be multiples of 16 (Cineform) or 8 (everything else), so, for 2.35:1 use 816, not 817.

A 1920x816 or 1920x800 frame means you're not rendering black, leaving all the data for your content, and the final video will scale better when stretching to fit a display. Obviously for UHD 4k you'd go with 3840x1632 or 3840x1600. "Cinema 4k" would be 4096x1744 or 4096x1712 (adjusted to be divisible by 16. For "8s" then go with 4096x1736 or 4096x 1704).

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,981 Ambassador

Holy Spiderman, @Triem23! This is shockingly good information. How is it I didn't know this until now?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,580 Ambassador

@FilmSensei guess you missed that Film Riot episode? To be honest, I still usually work 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 with hard letterboxes, even though I know it's silly. Of course I usually work 16:9.

But, yeah, just starting the project at the 2.35/2.4:1 dimensions, if you know that's your desired output, is the way to go. You'll get smoother Hitfilm performance as well, since HF isn't rendering things getting "thrown away" in the final output. There's almost 25% fewer pixels in a 2.35:1 ratio vs 16:9, so that's a significant potential speed up!

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,981 Ambassador

@Triem23 I must have missed that episode. Thanks for sharing!

• Triem23

@filmguy78@FilmSensei no problem. Feel free to steal for a "better letterboxing" tutorial! Not my idea, anyway! 😁