Hitfilm Express 16 won't open - missing entry point "Tannen.dll"

fxhomer291414
fxhomer291414 Posts: 3 Just Starting Out
edited December 2020 in HitFilm

Hi all, I had Hitfilm 15 and it worked fine. Today I downloaded 16 and it gave me errors. Saw people saying it was QT or my video drivers or maybe my windows 7. I upgraded to windows 10, checked my drivers and uninstalled QT and hitfilm then enstalled them fresh. Here is the error I'm getting.

HitfilmExpress.exe- Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point clCreateCommandQueueWithProperties could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\FXHOME\Hitfilm Express\Tannen.dll

Thanks for any help you can give

Steve

Answers

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,327 Ambassador

What are your full system specs? OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and free hard drive space. Are your video drivers up-to-date?

• jbanuelos
    jbanuelos Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Im getting this same error, i just had the most previous HITFILM yesterday and now i updated and get the same error

CPU info:

intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz  3.20 GHz

windows 10

16gb ram

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,517 Ambassador
    edited December 2020

EDIT external link removed after clarification from Hitfim dev @TheBenNorris

Try re-downloading and re-installing? It's possible the installer glitched.

Otherwise, see Ben Norris's comments, below.

• tbkr
    tbkr Posts: 16 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

Hi all,

Hitfilm Express version 16 was released yesterday right? I've downloaded the newest version (16) and tried to open it many times, but that never works.... It opens a dialogue box giving me this message:

It says "entry point not found" .....

What should I do? I need Hitfilm Express back as soon as possible, the previous version didn't have any errors of that sort!

Someone please help me out of it!

*edit: OS- WIndows 10 Pro

CPU-Intel(R) Core(Tm) i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz

4 GB ram...

• Triem23

@tbkr

I merged your thread with this one. Same issue. Please read my first comment in this thread.

• tbkr
    tbkr Posts: 16 Just Starting Out

@Triem23

Hi, I'm currently running the 'sfc/scannow' command in command prompt. It would take some time, I suppose. After I restart my device I'll notify you if any errors still aren't fixed..... please be on hold....

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff

@Triem23 unfortunately i'm not sure how helpful that article will be, Tannen.dll is our own DLL, and won't be distributed elsewhere.

@tbkr I notice that your CPU is below spec, which could cause issues.

@jbanuelos as with the user about, your CPU is also below spec.

@fxhomer291414 hopefully we can get some more specs from you too, and see if this looks like a below spec issue.

• TheBenNorris

Update: I've edited this title as it suggests the issue is a missing dll. The DLL is in fact present and the entry point is not being found (my bad for not reading the post correctly).

I recommend you all ensure your drivers are fully updated, and see if that helps.

• Triem23

@TheBenNorris thanks for the clarification. I'll edit my above post and remove the article link to not lead users down the wrong path.

• jbanuelos
    jbanuelos Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

@TheBenNorris what spec am I below in? When I look on the website, it says I meet the requirements or am I reading something incorrectly?

• TheBenNorris

@jbanuelos Please see the product specs here: https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express/specs#tech

They state a minimum 4th gen Intel CPU, you are using a 3rd generation Intel CPU. However, the program used to work? So I do recommend you check your GPU drivers (update/reinstall them) and try again. Would also be useful to know what (if any) GPU you're using.

• fxhomer291414
    fxhomer291414 Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz  3.10 GHz

8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Intel HD Graphics

Windows 10 Home

I've updated all drivers, uninstalled and re-installed the program several times.

• Ady
    Ady Posts: 1,531 Enthusiast

Your system has an Intel HD 2500 GPU which is below the minimum spec for HitFilm I'm afraid.

• chris669
    chris669 Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I've got exactly the same problem.

Processeur Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz  1.70 GHz

Mémoire RAM installée 16,0 Go (15,9 Go utilisable)

Type du système Système d’exploitation 64 bits, processeur x64

Hope you can fix it !

• TheBenNorris

@chris669 seems you also are below spec with more or less the exact same system. As I recommended for the others, try and update drivers if you can, otherwise I'm afraid officially we do not support your machine.

• privid
    privid Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*

So, I understand that the 'tannen'-problem (which I had also) is related to the machine aka CPU ? I'm running a fairly old double Xeon-system (HP Z800) and version 15.2 did very well on this machine with the same CPU-specs as V.16.. During the last 2 years or so I bought 11 add-ons and now you're telling me that my machine is outdated ? Resolve, Lightworks and Edius don't have problems with this machine. GPU driver updated regularly of course. I reinstalled V.15.2 now and will revisit this thread regularly to find out if this is the last FxHome has to say.

@TheBenNorris ThanX for your help in so many other cases.

• CleverTagline

During the last 2 years or so I bought 11 add-ons and now you're telling me that my machine is outdated ?

@privid Not necessarily outdated, but possibly incompatible with HitFilm's technical requirements. Every application has different requirements, and requirements change as applications are updated. Comparing HitFilm to any other application is irrelevant. It's about what HitFilm requires of your system, and if I remember correctly this latest version of HitFilm made some significant changes that certain systems might not be able to handle.

• fxhomer175658
    fxhomer175658 Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I just installed Hitfilm Express and got the error referenced above. I'm not going to knock myself out trying to troubleshoot an error with your program or its compatibility with my system. Your file tanned.dll is not compatible with all systems. It was free so I'll uninstall it but I'd like a refund for the 9 dollars I paid for the beginners pack.

• privid
    privid Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*

"Every application has different requirements, and requirements change as applications are updated."

@CleverTagline Are these 'requirements' the ones mentioned in 'specs' ? Where it says "Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors or AMD equivalent." for V.16 and for V15.2 equally.

"Comparing HitFilm to any other application is irrelevant."

Of course. talking about UI, features etc. okay. But they all have to cope with the same technical base (on a given machine). Some can handle it some don't. It's marketing putting it the other way around, like 'we are so very ahead of the development that older machines can't catch up'. Sounds pretty different from 'does'nt run on older machines'. What I'm saying is - it's a strategic decision. And therefore it could have been openly told to everyone that "certain systems might not be able to handle it".

I have no problem with calling my old machine old or outdated. It is. I have to get a new one anyway. But how long will it take to be 'below spec' again with HitFilm ?

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,171 Expert
    edited December 2020

@privid This is totally anecdotal, I know, but in 2014 when I built up my first 64 bit system just so that I could finally use Hitfilm that I had found in 2013 (HF Ultimate 2) and never got a chance to run they were on Hitfilm 3. I installed 3 Express in the fall of '14 and then went Pro in Jan '15. That same system is still running Hitfilm today with version 16. Yes, I have upgraded from a Geforce 1060 6 GB GPU recently to a 1660 TI but that wasn't because of Hitfilm; it was due to horribly slow render time in Blender and on SheepIt. I am due to build up a new system in the very near future, and I suspect I will go with a Ryzen of some sort and (hopefully) one of the new NVidia 30 series GPUs which I suspect will allow me to run Hitfilm at least another 5 years, if not a decade. Hope that gives you some info that's useful to you in making your choices.

• CleverTagline

I'd like a refund for the 9 dollars I paid for the beginners pack.

@fxhomer175658 Please contact FXhome support directly to discuss refunds. This is primarily a user forum. While FXhome staff do post on occasion, they don't handle personal account issues here. The rest of us—including moderators—are fellow users, and not official FXhome staff.

• CleverTagline

Are these 'requirements' the ones mentioned in 'specs' ? Where it says "Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors or AMD equivalent." for V.16 and for V15.2 equally.

@privid Not necessarily. Sometimes things change that are related to other elements of the system; e.g. certain system resources or features that may vary slightly from system to system. I don't know how else to word it because I don't develop applications myself (nor am I an FXhome employee; mods and ambassadors are fellow users, not staff), but there are deeper, more finicky things that can impact a system's ability to run certain applications aside from the big obvious things like CPU, GPU, etc.

• Triem23

@privid

Exact CPU/GPU specs for your machine would be helpful - there are 9 CPUs and 11 GPUs as possible configurations for that particular line, and I'm not going to blindly spec-check them all, but, I randomly looked at the Quadro 4800 and 5800 configurations.

Now, Hitfilm is OpenGL based and Hitfim 1-15 was using an OpenGL 2.1 core. Hitfilm 16 moves to OpenGL 4.0 (or is it 4.1?). As a "strategic decision," this increases the base power of the engine, opens the door to new features, and was a requirement for gltf support. Ain't a marketing thing.

The Quadro 4800 supports OpenGL 2.1. The Quadro 5800 supports OpenGL 3.3. The odds are every possible GPU in that line doesn't support OpenGL 4.

Yes, for Hitfilm your machine is likely "obsolete."

If you buy a new machine "how long" will it be before it's (again) obsolete? Who knows? We can't predict the future. Understand, Hitfilm uses OpenGL specifically to be as compatible with as many machines as possible. There's no proprietary stuff like CUDA or RTX going on. HF 4, 13 and 16 raised min specs. Chances are they won't move again for a couple of years. Again, who knows, but FXHOME tries for "lowest denominator hardware."

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020

I'm running a fairly old double Xeon-system

@privid I dont think its the CPU. I think that Triem is right. If it so happens that they rewrote the enitrety of the core, not even allowing it to launch HitFilm in less than OpenGl 4+. Seems odd but still. Your CPU is not below the minimum requirements by any technical definition.

What i would try is, have someone with a working Express 16 to upload their Tannen.dll and replace your existing one with theirs. This all seems weirdly artificial to me.

• Triem23

@kevin_n I don't know the complete extent of the rewrite for OpenGL 4, but I know for an absolute fact that certainly every single Effects filter was re-coded. Again, the OpenGl 4 was required for gltf model support, and I also know much of the 3D model code was re-written. Presumably most of the viewer core and some render core was rewritten as well. maybe only the QT framework UI didn't require massive rewrite. HF16 is, effectively, an entirely new program when compared to HF 15.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

Thats quite the jump. And man, AMD GPU users just left in the dust at this point. Why not bring it to a full CUDA and OpenCL. A more standardized approach for all big apps in this space. Fxhome have really grown

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,122 Enthusiast

The Quadro 4800 supports OpenGL 2.1. The Quadro 5800 supports OpenGL 3.3. The odds are every possible GPU in that line doesn't support OpenGL 4.

Nvidia driver 342.00 October 2016 states the FX 4800 supports OpenGL 4.4.

This is the most recent driver the Nvidia driver search feature lists for the FX 4800.

• Triem23
    edited December 2020

@NormanPCN Serves me right for looking at Nvidia's spec sheet? Says OpenGL 2.1 here. Oh, well. If I'm wrong a driver update might fix things for @privid and that's a much better situation than "Sorry, your PC won't run HF."

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,122 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

@Triem23 I figured you looked at a product release spec sheet. I saw the same thing. Thing is that spec sheet is from 2008. Look at the date on the spec sheet you linked. GL 2.1 was likely the current GL at that time. Drivers can support newer stuff.

• LemarSain
    LemarSain Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Having the same issue. V15 worked fine.

Operating System:   Windows 10 (64-bit) - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Processor:   Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5660 @ 2.80GHz (2 processors)

GPU: Quadro 4000 -- 377.83

Total Memory:   24 GB