Are you running AMD or INTEL CPU?

Andy001z
Andy001z Posts: 3,176 Ambassador

Out of interest I was wondering what people are using CPU wise with Hitfilm.

Are you running AMD or INTEL CPU? 22 votes

AMD
31%
spydurhanktddavisFilmSensei[Deleted User]ZachAlanzobo1942leifv 7 votes
INTEL
68%
Lars_HNormanPCNAndy001zDataDesignStargazer54CleverTaglinetomkane18EvilDaystartriforcefxellis_is_greatalaska_vfx_filmerJBaymoregeorgefilmltdspyrescamisra15 15 votes

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,176 Ambassador
    INTEL

Sorry forgot about the APPLE M1 but we know that Hitfilm is not optimized for that new chipset.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert
    AMD

My original HitFilm computer was an Intel machine. When FXhome upped the requirements, I got a new, much improved computer with an AMD chip. I've never had any problems with either computer with regard to HitFilm. However, my new machine is considerably faster! Here are the specs of both machines...

Old Computer

• 16gig ram, DDR3
    • Intel Core i5-4460, 3.20Ghz 4 cores
    • Intel HD Graphics 4600

New Computer:

• 16gig ram, DDR4 3200
    • AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost)
    • MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Graphics Card
  • EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Posts: 301 Enthusiast
    INTEL

Intel but building a new rig (mine is 5 years old now) and am looking at amd vous.

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 516 Enthusiast
    INTEL

Hp omen laptop with 8th gen i7 and 16gig ram 4gb gpu, was going to build an amd pc, but went for portability.

• GordonCato
    GordonCato Posts: 69 Just Starting Out

I have the same laptop. I also have a desktop running AMD CPU and graphics with 32 Gigs of ram

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 516 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020
    INTEL

Nice, will proboble build a workstation when I have more space and $$, and it probobly will be amd

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,218 Ambassador

I haven't cast a vote as I have multiple PC's. I have intel AND AMD.

But all my GPUs are Nvidia.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,336 Moderator
    INTEL

Intel on a cheap laptop. Though if/when I eventually build my own rig, I’d probably lean towards AMD.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    AMD

First machine was an Intel 2gig ram, 8 core cpu, no gpu Lenovo in 2008.

Second machine was an Alienware 32gig ram, 12 core cpu, with two 4gig gtx 550 GPUs in 2012.

Third machine was a dual xeon workstation, 64gig ram, 16 core cpu, with three 4gig gtx 970s GPUs and one 32gig Radeon pro duo GPU.

Current machine is an AMD, 64gig ram, 32 core thread ripper, one 24 gig Titan RTX GPU. I can fit two more GPU cards in this machine build but I'd need to get larger PSU.

• misra15
    misra15 Posts: 29 Enthusiast
    INTEL

I'm on two laptops one with 4 gig ram another 8 gig ram both on intel. The former i5 and the latter i7. Both are on geforce cards 820M and 930MX.

These specs are really on the lower end but on a really tight budget and starting out monetising my content this will do for now.

However, I heard the latest AMD cards are giving Intel a run for their money- pun intended. In future am thinking of may be getting AMD because of the multicore faucet so far it's like 32 cores with hyperthreading.

Either way Intel and AMD build really good CPU's

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2020
    AMD

Ryzen 5 1400

GTX 1660 S

I want to add that Intel is probably the best value because Intel has started to include multithreading in i5+ of all their recent and upcoming CPU's. In other words what was a i5 6C/6T, is now a 6C/12T, so on. Because of this, youd have to go by IPC in which case Intel would win as well. IPC is important for well over 90% of the tasks in any given workflow.

AMD is still great for it's massive cache, PCI lanes for multitasking workflows, but if i had to guess, probably only for another year. It almost doesnt matter what CPU you choose if you want the most for your money, which is great for us consumers. It's a real war between these 2 companies.

• ellis_is_great
    ellis_is_great Posts: 44 Enthusiast
    INTEL

I use an Intel i7 8700 and my graphics card is an RTX 2060 Super.

• JBaymore
    JBaymore Posts: 352 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020
    INTEL

i9-9900 Coffee Lake @ 3.6 GHz and RTX 2080 Ti video and 64 GB DDR-4 RAM