NEW RELEASE: HitFilm 16 is now here!

StevenSpicer
StevenSpicer StaffPosts: 47 Staff
edited December 2020 in General

Hey all!

Well, am I excited to be sharing this news with you! The release you've all been waiting for is now here. HitFilm 16 – complete with physically-based rendering, HEVC support, built-in voice recording, and the new Custom Light Flares effect is now available to download over at the following links:

So what are you waiting for? Download the update, and get stuck in. There's a ton of awesome new features we're excited to set you loose on! Want to learn more about what's in the update? Watch the overview video.

Enjoy!

- Steven (FXhome Staff)

Comments

• EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Posts: 301 Enthusiast

Just in time before the end of my 2nd 12 month support ... I'll be buying again in a year but am super happy I was able to get 16 now.

• juanmanuel3d
    juanmanuel3d Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I am soo lucky, my update support thingy finishes in 6 days! Now I can bask in hitfilm 16 glory while I save some cash to buy some extra 12 month support..😁

• iamkhanproductions
    iamkhanproductions Posts: 393 Enthusiast

This is great, improved 3d models. Gave it a quick spin but not fully tested out. So far it's great! Keep up the good work guys! ^_^

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 212 Enthusiast

Awesome upgrade giving people some very highly requested features (HEVC file support, Recording directly to a video, better 3d, etc.) The flares look pretty nifty too.

• EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Posts: 301 Enthusiast

SAME WITH ME!!! Feels like xmas!

Thanks FXhome!!!

I'll upgrade again next year. :)

• Thomekk
    Thomekk Posts: 105 Enthusiast

Thanks a lots!

I also thought it would be released laters, therefore here the grace period gave me the chance to get it.

• RikVargard
    RikVargard Posts: 118 Enthusiast

This is a most amazing move from you guys!! You told us it was the best deal ever and it is!! Thank you So much for that! really! 👍️

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

@StevenSpicer *pedantically notes 'Cook-Torrance' is a 'Physically-based shader.' Metal/Roughness and Spec/Gloss are variant BDRF shaders. Which are also PBR, but Hitfilm's still been PBR for years.*

But I've been loving the new shaders, and, as a bonus, the additional map types added to Phong and Cook Torrance!

16 is just an insane update. So much good stuff.

• Reikooters
    Reikooters Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Is the HEVC support for decoding only? When creating a new mp4 preset, the codec is still locked to H264.

Currently I'm exporting my videos as Uncompressed AVI and then encoding to x265 using ffmpeg, due to lack of ability to do so in HitFilm Express. I was hoping to skip that step with version 16.

• ellis_is_great
    ellis_is_great Posts: 44 Enthusiast

Playing around with the new metallic roughness mode for 3d models. We're gonna need some guidance on this new shader. It didn't really look any better or more realistic than the old Cook-Torrence. Playing with the sliders just made the models look like they are coated in wax. I also ran into an issue where the model sort of roughly dissolved into pure black when it gets out of the reach of the light. I'm not a 3D master, so I am very willing to admit it's probably due to me not understanding the mechanics.

The new emmissive maps are really nice. I wish there was a way to control how much they... emmiss...is that a word? I was hoping to use them for glowing lights and engine glows. I will, but I think you still need to do double up on the model so you can add the effect to control the glow. Didn't have enough time to test that out.

I'll need to learn about how the other new map types work.

Gonna play with it more this weekend. Especially want to try out the new flare maker.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,288 Moderator

@Reikooters

Correct, it is only for decoding. If I had to guess, it’s because encoding to HEVC is another expensive license on top of the license for decoding. Either that or they just weren’t able to get to the encoding part this time around (but my money is actually on the first guess).

In any case, I can’t think of any reason you would need to use H.265 as a final delivery codec (unless you were sending your videos to a client that demanded it for some strange reason). If you’re worried about quality, why not export from HitFilm in Cineform or Prores? (I would recommend this over the uncompressed AVI even if you did want to convert it afterwards- there’s no discernible difference in quality and it’s a substantially smaller export file). If you like the smaller file sizes that H.265 offers, you’re probably better off converting in ffmpeg anyway, as it’s encoder is far more effective than HitFilm’s compression (using h.264 as an example).

I’d be genuinely curious to know what you want from H.265 though.

• fr33d0m70
    fr33d0m70 Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

With new 16 I've a problem with Crop / Pan & Zoom effect, the HitFilm Express crash.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@fr33d0m70 Interesting. I don't seem to have that problem.

• rafik_salmi
    rafik_salmi Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Hi there ,

after showing me an update notification , I know that I have to uninstall the current version on PC

after going to fxhome folder and so called "borisFX" (something like that) , I didn't find a unistall option or application , so I directly deleted the two folders (from progam files) to confirm that this version is removed from PC

downloading the latest version ............launching the installation.........choosing "typical".......... Hitfilm express launching 16 INSTALLED ..........

But , after clicking hitfilm express icon , nothing happen but this message appears , what to do ?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

@rafik_salmi

You uninstall HF 16 for now, re-install your earlier version, then read this thread.

Chances are your machine is incapable of running HF 16. You can try updating your GPU driver, but this error typically means your GPU doesn't support core tech required for HF 16.

Earlier installers can be found here.

• iNate
    iNate Posts: 47 Just Starting Out*
    edited December 2020

There doesn't seem to be an option for importing AAF anywhere.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Apparently yes. It's under "Open Projects." Not very intuitive, but there it is...

• rafik_salmi
    rafik_salmi Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

@Triem23 thanks , so........ i should install HF 15

• fr33d0m70

I did other tests on another pc and I still had same program crash.

Example: 2 clips on 2 different tracks, apply crop effect, choose custom aspect/ratio and change Width or Height. After a few times you change the values, the autozoom flags and drag the square crop in wiewer the program sometime crash.

Pc 1: Win10, intel i7, 8Gb ram, Geforce GTX 1650 Super

Pc 2: Win10, intel Xeon, 16Gb ram, Quadro K2200

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,030 Staff

@fr33d0m70 please make sure you send your crash dumps to our support team so we can look into this. Unfortunately it is the holiday season though, and I'm the only developer in (until tomorrow, then I'm gone!) so it may not get investigated fully until the new year.

• fr33d0m70

Where I found the dump file?

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,030 Staff

@fr33d0m70 you get the option to send the dump when it crashes. If you chose to not send, then I'm afraid it may be lost unless you replicate the crash.