Use hitfilm for beam of light

fxhomer51389
fxhomer51389 Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

I got hitilm originally with Vegas pro, I have upgraded but never used it. I have a couple of scenes that use smoke and a beam of light, so imagine a room that has a beam of light from an imaginary window (off camera view) the light terminates and frames a specific object like a holy grail. Doing it practically means using my Fresnel to focus on the object and using aerosol smoke to fill the light beam. I think as a first project would be to use the Fresnel beam as a plate and use hitfilm for a light beam, but really interested in your experience as this will be my initial experience.

The other way I want to use hitfilm is with smoke like a classic Hollywood portrait where the person is smoking a cigarette with wafts of smoke rising or a western gunfighter smoke coming out from the end of a pistol. I have a full version of hitfilm, so looking to your recommendations as to approaching this since I have no experience at all.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador

Express or Pro? You have a whole bunch of options, but, in Express many of them are found in add-on packs.

How much camera movement do you have? A static camera is much easier to deal with than a moving one.

A simple option is an old photo editing trick. You'd make a white plane, mask it to the shape of the beam, slap a fractal noise on it and Composite in Add or Screen mode to basically draw the beam. There are also effects like Light Rays and Auto Volumetrics (you can find tutorials for both on YouTube). Zoom blur on a white plane can create looks similar to Light Rays.

Try searching YouTube for "Hitfim Volumetric Light tutorial," and "Hitfim Light Rays Tutorial." There are several. Don't overlook the older ones like "Volumetric Lighting in Hitfilm Ultimate 2" by Simon Jones. Older tutorials will have interface differences, but these types of effects use a few tried and true techniques that don't really change.

• fxhomer51389
    fxhomer51389 Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

I have hitfilm pro and static camera

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador

Well then, all Effects are available. I still recommend the above YouTube search string. Any tutorials you find will work.