Apple Silicon Support

Seanbo
Seanbo Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Just tried installing Ignite on Apple Mini running M1 Apple Silicon and it says Ignite needs an update. Are there any plans to update soon?

Comments

• Ady
    Ady Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,488 Staff

@Seanbo - Apple M1 devices and the OS they are currently running (Big Sur) are brand new to the market, and as such were released after Ignite 5 was. We have M1 devices that we are currently testing our products on and we hope to offer support for this platform soon.

Naturally the software will prompt you to update when one is available, but you can also keep an eye on our social channels to get additional info about upcoming releases.

• Seanbo
    Seanbo Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Sounds pretty far out, that's a shame I really like ignite features used in final cut, I guess I need to look for alternatives.

• randsley
    randsley Website User Posts: 0

Hi Ady ! Do you have any update on this or have a date when we might have FXPlug plug-ins on Apple Silicon ?

• kyoukhana
    kyoukhana Website User Posts: 7 Just Starting Out*

Any news of supporting Apple Silicon chip.

• OpenGL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/porting-your-macos-apps-to-apple-silicon

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,580 Ambassador

@kyoukhana FXhome is working on it. Likely, no projected release date will be given until any port has passed QA testing and is in final release stages.

That said, Hitfilm's entire render engine is OpenGL based (Hitfilm 16 updated from OpenGL 2.1 to 4.1l, so, as you can imagine, Apple depreciating OpenGL is a huge obstacle to overcome. Effectively FXhome has to create an all-new version of Hitfilm separate from the PC and Intel-Mac version.

(And, honestly, the M1 ain't that powerful. Its GPU performance is on-par with an Nvidia 1050 - which means Apple's new 2020 chip is as powerful as the slowest Nvidia GTX card from 2016. Not to mention the low amount of RAM. Real world testing has shown that a current-gen i7 is more than twice as fast as the M1 at video encoding and three times faster at transcoding. For mobile chips - and the M1 started as an iPad core - it's really really fast. For a full computer it's an entry level CPU/GPU.)

• kyoukhana

Thanks so much for the update. People don't realize that HitFilm has more features then Adobe Premiere. I really love your software and will continue to use it. Why because it's easy to learn. Video editing shouldn't be complex.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,580 Ambassador

@kyoukhana those are nice words, thanks! Mods and Ambassadors are volunteers, though. We don't work for FXhome, but I certainly agree with Hitfilm being easy to learn!

• kyoukhana

Welcome. What makes the software is the community and support.