An egg movie

Deekaybe
Deekaybe Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

This one was made during the first lock down earlier this year.

It is in dutch, no sub-titles, but the story is simple:

We want to make pan cakes, but we have no eggs. So we ask our local magician to make some appear.

HitFilm was a good help :-)

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,319 Ambassador

Nicely done! Very clean job with the effects. Simple, but quite effective.

One tip for next time: I don't know if you're aware of this, but your camera records interlaced footage.If you're not familiar with interlacing, here's an informative and humorous walkthrough:

Here's a look at a frame from your footage that shows this interlacing behavior:

Blown up a bit...

To correct this in HitFilm, you can apply the Deinterlace effect, but it does affect the quality of your footage. It's best to record without deinterlacing. You'll find this option somewhere in your camera settings. It's tough to say exactly what to look for, but it could be as simple as a setting that switches between 1080i (i = interlaced) and 1080p (p = progressive). Progressive is what you want.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,154 Expert
    edited December 2020

@CleverTagline Justin, not 100% here, but when you said, " It's best to record without deinterlacing. " Did you not mean to say without interlacing? My camera was recording 720i which I assumed meant interlacing and I switched it to 720p which I assumed meant progressive when Triem23 pointed out I was shooting interlaced and didn't know it a while back.

@Deekaybe Nicely done! Great masking work.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert
    edited December 2020

@Deekaybe Wonderful... You have quite a magician there. He can come over and make pancakes at my house any day! 😁

• CleverTagline

@CleverTagline Justin, not 100% here, but when you said, " It's best to record without deinterlacing. " Did you not mean to say without interlacing?

Erm...yeah. Braining clearly wasn't my thing at that time. 🤣

• Deekaybe
    Deekaybe Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

Thank you for your nice comments. It is indeed all about planning the shots and masking.

@CleverTagline thank you for your additional insights. I have noticed this during masking. Now I know where it is coming from.

Most of the time I make special effects for other people (I am in a film club). So I leave the camera work to people who know what they are doing.

Shortly, I started to film using my DLSR camera instead of the video camera. There, no "i" or "p" settings. I use 1920*1080 25fps High Quality. For the moment, I didn't notice these artifacts, so I guess it is filming in non-interlaced mode.

• CleverTagline

Most of the time I make special effects for other people (I am in a film club). So I leave the camera work to people who know what they are doing.

While that's generally fine, it's probably a good idea to bring this up to folks in the club just so they're aware of it. Even if these other camera owners/users are aware of interlacing, they may not be aware of the impact that it has on visual effects.

Shortly, I started to film using my DLSR camera instead of the video camera. There, no "i" or "p" settings. I use 1920*1080 25fps High Quality. For the moment, I didn't notice these artifacts, so I guess it is filming in non-interlaced mode.

Interlacing is mostly going to be an issue with dedicated video cameras. I'd be surprised if any modern DSLR cameras provide the option of shooting interlaced video. The image sensor in a DSLR is designed to capture single, solid images, which is what progressive video uses. You should be fine.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,154 Expert

I thought that might be the case with DSLR cameras but have never delved into them enough to know for sure. Good to know.