Can you run hitfilm on more than one machine?..

iamkhanproductions
iamkhanproductions Website User Posts: 265 Enthusiast

Hi can i run hitfilm express and with my addons on my laptop as well as my desktop pc?

Thank

Comments

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 928 Enthusiast

IIRC you can have up to three activations at a time, as long as you only run one instance at a time.

Even if not though, it's easy to accomplish; you can install it on as many machines as you want, and just activate the one you're working on by logging in when you need to. I don't remember whether there's an easy way to tell it to de-authorize other activations in case you run out though. I know there's a way via the web site, but I haven't hit my three activation limit in a long time. It's usually due to purchasing a new computer in my case. :)

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Website User Posts: 520 Enthusiast

I think there is only one activation for Express. But you can still activate and deactivate as noted by @WhiteCranePhoto on any single machine.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

@WhiteCranePhoto has made an error.

HF PRO can install and activate on three machines at a time.

Hitfilm Express can install and activate on one machine at a time.

Activations are tied to the email account used to download the software. I wouldn't quite recommend downloading Express again with a second account as add-ons purchased for account 1 would need to be repurchased for account 2.

But the key word is "ACTIVATE." You can edit all you want on a deactivated installation - but renders will watermark. Still, you can edit and start a render on (activated) machine A and edit on (deactivated) machine B while A renders. You can then either swap projects via external drive/network between machines or deactivate A and activate B as needed.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 928 Enthusiast

That's what you get for never using HitFilm Express... only Pro :)

• iamkhanproductions
    iamkhanproductions Website User Posts: 265 Enthusiast

ah gutted, i must be a pro user... :(

• FarisAzri
    FarisAzri Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

Since this is related, I might as well ask as well.

Is there any activation limit on the Express? I switch around using my laptop at home and PC at school. Can I activate one, deactivate one, then switch around, rinse and repeat indefinitely?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

@FarisAzri absolutely.

As I said above, the key word is "ACTIVATE." You can edit all you want on a deactivated installation - but renders will watermark. Still, you can edit and start a render on (activated) machine A and edit on (deactivated) machine B while A renders. You can then either swap projects via external drive/network between machines or deactivate A and activate B as needed.

If you go to fxhome.com/account you'll also be able to see which machine is activated, and even be able to Deactivate from there (which I find easier than using the Activation menu in Hitfilm). From there you'll also find links to the installers for your software and see which add on packs you own.