Simple choker matte for Liquid effects?

fxhomer53551
fxhomer53551 Posts: 7 Just Starting Out
edited December 2020 in Post-production techniques

It would be great if we were able to do this, motion graphics would be really fun. ( Example 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uXKuIiWYA Example 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5wq9DsQ_Lc )

Best Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    Accepted Answer

Hitfilm already has a Matte Choker effect aht does what Ae's Simple Choker does. Since Hitfilm already has the feature you're asking for, i have moved your thread to a different sub forum.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador
    Accepted Answer

@Triem23 HitFilm doesn't have a Matte Choker effect. You're probably thinking of Matte Cleaner, but even so it won't address the question that @fxhomer53551 asked about.

What will get the job done is the Posterize effect. No need to blur in advance, because Posterize has its own blur control property named Smooth Source.

Here's the basic process:

1. Create the overlapping shapes you want on top of a solid background (they can't be over a transparent background because of how Posterize operates)
    2. Add a grade layer above everything
    3. Add Posterize to the grade layer
    4. In Posterize, set Colors per Channel to 2, Smooth to something small (.02 usually works well), then dial up the Smooth Source attribute to control the blending of the shapes.

Answers

• CleverTagline

If you want the smooth color blending between the merged shapes that the example videos show, there's another way to do this:

1. Make your colored shapes over a transparent background
    2. Add a grade layer to the top of the stack
    3. Add Blur to the grade layer and set the blur as desired
    4. Add Crush Blacks & Whites Alpha to the grade layer. Set the Transparent property to .49, and Opaque to .50

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

4.Add Crush Blacks & Whites Alpha to the grade layer. Set the Transparent property to .49, and Opaque to .50

Using a Threshold Effect in place of the Crush Blacks & White Alpha will also do the trick.

• CleverTagline
    edited December 2020

Using a Threshold Effect in place of the Crush Blacks & White Alpha will also do the trick.

That requires a solid background, so it wouldn't replace Crush Blacks & Whites Alpha. You could use Blur and Threshold in place of Posterize, though, but like Posterize, that locks you in to a single final color. The video examples have the colors blending between shapes as they merge, which won't work with either Posterize or Threshold-Blur. I also don't see the liquid-like blending of shapes when using Threshold.

• CleverTagline
    edited December 2020

Here's the result using the second technique (using Crush Blacks & Whites Alpha).

With the Posterize technique, you get the shape blending, but everything gets reduced to two colors. Blur-Threshold also reduces to two colors, but it doesn't do the blending of shapes.

EDIT: For some reason my animated GIF isn't animating when embedded. Had to replace it with a static one.

EDIT 2: Here's the GIF (hosted elsewhere):

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@CleverTagline As coincidence would have it, I am working on a tutorial request of a "melting letters into a puddle" type of effect...

As a result, I am trying different ideas, all of which to this point involve using the Threshold Effect. Your ideas are fantastic alternatives to what I have been trying, so I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

• CleverTagline

@FilmSensei I had a melting-text effect on my tutorial list for a while, and had experimented with it briefly a few years ago using Posterize, but other ideas came up and it kept getting pushed back.

I also need to thank you for bringing up the Threshold effect. Every so often I want to clamp the colors on something, and Posterize has been my go-to for ages, but it has that side-effect of blending and smoothing shapes that isn't always desirable. I keep forgetting about Threshold, so this has been a good reminder!