Older Cameras Dilemma

raghavankarthik
raghavankarthik Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi,

New to this forum and to the HitFilm world in general (been using/learning it for a little over a year now). I'm relatively new to the world of video-making and so far have been using two hacked GH2s and a Nikon D7000 to shoot. 90% of the time, I use vintage lenses and only ever use a modern AF on the Nikon when I am in a hurry and just need to get the job done. I recently managed to get a good deal on a used Nikon D750 and want to either sell the D7000 or the GH2s, but find myself unable to come to a decision. Hoping people with more experience on these forums can advise me...

First off, for context, I am not a professional anything in the videography world. I picked up a camera to make some videos for a few friends and then sort of found myself enjoying the process enough to want to get more into it. For all current practical purposes, assume that my videos will only be seen on YouTube and there is no greater aspiration than that (only hobbyist, I won't be taking any paid gigs). A sample video, to help understand my needs better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml2_hpkEdE0 - The keyboardist shots are all on the Nikon D7000 using an old Nikkor 50/f2 lens. The close-ups of the singer are with the GH2 using an Aus Jena 135/f4 lens. The wide-angle of the singer was with the D7000 again, but possibly with the 50/f1.8 AF lens. The GH2 has a hack that produces 100mbps files, while the D7000 is stock.

Now, with the D750 that I just got, I have too many cameras. I can either:

a) sell off the D7000 and hold on to the two GH2s: the advantage is that I can adapt all kinds of interesting vintage lenses on these bodies (and I have been accumulating PLENTY of old lenses for this), and I can shoot at 100mbps. The disadvantage is that even with the hacks, the GH2 is quite lousy with low-light... And the 2x crop factor is extremely limiting (since I do not have any native m4/3 ultra wide lenses).

b) sell off the two GH2s and most of the vintage glass and keep the D7000: I can hack the D7000 to give me 64mbps video, and since I will be using the D750 with native Nikkor glass, there will be consistency in the footage making it far easier to colour correct and grade. The disadvantage is that the D7000 is only marginally better than the GH2 with low-light, is virtually impossible to adapt any of the nicer non-F-mount lenses, and overall a much harder camera to use for video than the GH2.

One major question that makes me overthink this relates to the subject of bitrates. From what I understand, yes a higher bitrate will give better video, much better scope for grading, and is generally preferable. BUT, I also understand that when the final destination is YouTube, this may not matter much, since YouTube compresses the crap out of the final footage anyway. Grading still benefits, of course, BUT for the kind of videos I will be making, there is probably not a requirement to have THAT much leeway. Finally, the D750 cannot be hacked and will only record at 24mbps anyway, so perhaps the entire bitrate question is moot?

Is this understanding of the bitrate equation correct? Do I really need hacks and more than 24mbps, or am I just stuck wanting things I don't need? Which cameras should I hold on to?

Additional information: I REALLY enjoy the nerdy stuff more than the creative stuff; meaning adapting vintage lenses is a big part of the fun for me. For that reason alone, I want to hold on to the GH2s. BUT they are really showing their age now, and I then start thinking maybe the best option is to sell off all three and buy one single newer Sony full frame mirrorless to use with the D750! No, I do not have much disposable income, so buying more gear is NOT an option right now :)

Comments

• Manhit
    Manhit Website User Posts: 38 Just Starting Out

Hi,

Personally, I would hold on to the GH2s as I think you can get a different look using them especially with all the vintage glass. The GH2 is still capable of creating amazing video. I have an even older GH1 (hacked) which I still use all the time. Resolution isn't everything.