Twister (1996) - Makeover, at least that was the plan

Celtic
Celtic Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi there,

When the movie Twister was released in 1996, I was in awe. Those visual effects really impressed me. Over the years, however, I began to notice some issues with the visual effects. I am not referring to the actual Twister effects and generally what is visible on the screen, but rather what isn't.

Many scenes were filmed in sunny conditions, and they don't mix very well when with the tornado VFX shots. That always took me out of the picture to an extend. The filmmakers were apparently plagued with good weather and due to time constraints had to shoot under blue skies. They tried to color grade some shots, but it does not work very well. Then there is the opening sequence of the Weather satellite which did not age very well.

I thought I'd try to use HitFilm Pro to insert some missing visuals, and perhaps have a go at recreating the opening sequence. It would be a fun project. So I began, and somehow after having spent countless hours, life got in the way, and I never got to finish it. I had clearly bitten off more than I could chew.

To make matters worse, I recently discovered that due to a hardware failure all of the work is lost (note to self - Raid systems are only useful if they are actually set up and active). I only managed to scrape together a few test renders, which I combined in the video below.

If you like, take a look and let me know what you think. You are also completely welcome to ridicule me for not having a proper backup. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Comments