newbie with vxf artist still can not figure out color keying after watching a couple tutorials.

fxhomer182671
fxhomer182671 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Im a fairly technical person but I am struggling with what should be some pretty simple things in HF express.

I have some general confusion about masks. I have applied some geometric masks but I can not figure out how to get my other video to show through where this one is masked out.

I can not figure out how scaling works. It seems like there should be an easy way to trim my film down to what I want and then scale that trimmed part up to my final resolution.

I purchased VXF artist but I can not figure out pro keying feature. I have watched a couple tutorials and read the doc a couple times but all I can not seem to select the gray color and cut it out.

Anyone want to do a (paid) one on one session with me?

Here is what I have so far, I need to cut out the gray and play around with some scaling and get another clip behind it:

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,202 Expert

@fxhomer182671 I am not 100% clear on exactly what you want to do here. Would you be able to upload your project file (.hfp) so I could could look at the arrangement to better understand? Or even posting a screen shot of the program open with the layers arrangement might help.

• fxhomer182671
    fxhomer182671 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

@tddavis I could not upload my hfp.

The whole layer arrangement piece is part of what I do not understand.

Any chance you would jump on a screen share and walk me through a couple things?

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,202 Expert
    edited November 2020

@fxhomer182671 I should have been more clear if you were trying to upload it here. I meant upload it to Dropbox or other cloud storage site and post a link here. The forum doesn't have file share directly except for photos now. As far as screen share, I have only done that once and the other person set it all up, so I have no clue how to do it at all.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,337 Ambassador

I can not figure out how scaling works. It seems like there should be an easy way to trim my film down to what I want and then scale that trimmed part up to my final resolution.

The "Crop and Pan" effect is great for that. Apply it to your footage. When the effect is selected, you'll see an overlay in the main viewer. Grab the corners of the overlay and drag them to adjust the crop. The cropped area will automatically be scaled to fill the viewer. Scrub in the timeline after making changes to see the results.