any way to synchronise/nudge clips in the timeline finer than 1 frame of the project speed?

Jimantronic
Jimantronic Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Hi, I'm using Hitfilm Express to make my music videos, but I'm filming with multiple cameras and having trouble synchronising clips. It seems like I can only move a clip in the timeline in jumps of 1 frame or 1/25th of a second (40ms) in a 25FPS project. This isn't fine enough adjustment for me to line up the audio events properly between the 2 clips and for percussive stuff that's enough to appear visibly out of sync as they can be up to 20ms out.

Is there any way around this? I was really pleased I'd found the perfect editor for me in Hitfilm, but this issue alone is enough to make me look for something else if there's no workaround, so any suggestions gratefully received.

For now, I've changed the project settings to 100fps, but it's now taking forever to render anything out.....

thanks,

James

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,693 Ambassador

You've already found the only current workaround.

Bear in mind I can't think of any NLE that moves VIDEO in sub-frame increments (because there aren't any), although a few can nudge AUDIO in sub-frames.

You could do cuts in 100 fps Comps then drop the clips to a 25 fps Editor Timeline. That'll speed up the final render

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,794 Ambassador

@Jimantronic True multi-camera support is an often requested feature but one that HF doesn't currently support. But there are some workarounds. Tagging @Triem23.

An issue could be that your footage from each camera (unless they are identical models) typically will shoot at different frame rates unless you manually adjust each one to be the same. This could certainly result in things getting out of sync.

• Triem23

@Stargazer54 I feel it's either an audio sync issue or a "cameras started less than a frame apart" thing.

There's a reason in event, convention and live broadcast work we genlock. 😉

• Jimantronic

thanks both :)

So you think I'd get similar issues whatever solution I'm going for? That's a pain!

I'll try confirming both cameras are set to a consistent frame rate and see if that helps. I don't think they're necessarily going out of sync with each other, it's just that it's pot luck as to when each of them starts the recording in relation to the other

• Triem23

I think you'll have the issue no matter what, even if the cameras were in perfect sync (btw, the "genlock" in my prior post is a camera and hardware solution to absolutely lockstep the cameras and you still have the problem.).

It comes down to you can't have "half a frame" in video. And, unless the song is at a multiple of 25 bpm the actions can't line up on even frame boundaries, anyway. Best thing to do is cheat the cut early compared to the audio.

• Jimantronic

That's brilliant info, thanks! So that says if there's a compromise to be made, always put the visual before the audio and it's less likely to look wrong. That's nice and easy and suggests even at 25fps it would be a maximum of half a frame or 20ms out anyway which is below the threshold of detection. I guess if I wanted to be super accurate and shot at 60fps that would go down to about 8ms which is practically nothing.

Cool 😎

• Triem23

Pretty much! 😁