New to this ... is the viewer suppose to have 4:10 sec on it

fxhomer298106
fxhomer298106 Posts: 20 Just Starting Out*

I just started with Hit express and still learning but I find that while editing there is a 4 minute + dead space at the end which does show in the viewer screen too. Is that suppose to be there. Can't find how to take it off. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Posts: 306 Enthusiast

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Can you grab a screenshot and post it?

Maybe circle the area that shows what you mean?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,693 Ambassador

The default length of a Hitfilm Editor Timeline is five minutes. When you create a project you can change this to whatever you want.

Blank space at the end of a timeline is not Exported if you choose "Export Contents." If you choose "Export In/Out Points" then the Export is whatever time range you have defined, even if the timeline is blank.

• EvilDaystar

I THOUGHT that was what they meant but was not certain.

@Richc111 When you export you can choose to either export contents or export in and out. Anything not covered in dark grey is in your "in and out" area.

It's the same thing for composite shots.

You can add or remove length to your timeline by hitting the cog in the lower left corner over the little magnet.

Don't hesitate to ask questions no matter how silly you think they may be. I switched over from Vegas to HitFilm and it was a ROUGH switch (not as rough as switching to Resolve of course) but once you get some of the basic concepts under your belt things get much, much, much better.

• fxhomer298106

Yes the additional time does not tack on the video I am working on but it does keep playing a blank screen on all of the videos I work on. Just seems odd.

This is the 4:10 I was talking about . If i just open the program up without any thing loaded up it is always there . Thanks for all your comments.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,186 Enthusiast

@EvilDaystar good explanation....I have requested that there shouldnt be a splash screen to tell you how long your editing timeline should be. Because I have never said to myself yeah I want the video to be x amount of time. I only do that in compshots. I so wish that FX home would get rid of that annoying splash screen. Its so useless. END RANT :)

• EvilDaystar

We need the splash screen to set dimensions and frame rate.

If you are creating a title sequence with only motion graphics for example you have no footage to steal settings from.

What they COULD remove is the project length since it is ignored anyways as proven by my (horribly narrated) video above.

• fxhomer298106

thanks for all your help. I assumed it wasn't that important but I have worked with different software before on other things and you find out 3 months later something doesn't work because of a setting you set 3 month before