How do I zoom in and motion track a specific object?

ragnarook77
ragnarook77 Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Hello! I'm pretty new to using HitFilm, and unfortunately I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a tutorial that's somewhat specific to the effect I'm looking to achieve.

Let's say for example that, in my video clip, it's a wide angle shot of me holding a mug. What I want to do is smoothly go from the wide angle to a zoom in of just the mug, and have the mug be motion tracked as my hand expressively moves it.

Here's a video that somewhat shows what I mean (skip to 0:20), except, without the zoom in effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc3xLrtldTs

Any idea?

Thanks!

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Enthusiast
    edited November 2020

Hi,

Welcome to HitFilm!

The only part I'm having difficulty understanding is this

and have the mug be motion tracked as my hand expressively moves it.

Please elaborate - though perhaps someone else understands it better than I.

Had to edit nearly everything that I wrote because I'm stupid, I missed the part where you said "without the zoom in effect".

• ragnarook77
    ragnarook77 Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

I believe I may have found the golden tutorial I've been looking for... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTm18s7CCA4

My apologies! I'm not quite sure how to explain myself as I'm pretty new to editing and the terms used. In the video I added, the person did a closeup view of his hand when he was pointing at the objects, and it was being motion tracked while doing it. That's essentially the effect I'm looking for, but with the added zoom in effect without cutting from wide angle shot to closeup (the guy in the video cut from full shot to a zoom in shot of his hand, then back to full shot again).

So, what I'm picturing in my head, is me standing in an empty room holding a mug and talking, then suddenly there's a zoom in of the mug. The mug will be moving around as I'm still expressively talking, so I need the mug to essentially stay in frame and be "motion tracked". Then, maybe, a zoom out back to the full wide angle shot of me talking.

Sorry, haha! It's so hard putting what I'm thinking into words!