32 inch monitor resolution

DataDesign
DataDesign Posts: 655 Enthusiast

I am about to purchase a Lenovo 32" monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440. Is this good for video editing with HF? I currently have a 27" monitor with 1920x1080.

This monitor is on sale at Office Depot / Office Max for $160.00 usd

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,573 Moderator

I’d argue that color accuracy is the most important metric. You’ll be kicking yourself if you end up with a low quality panel. What is the model you’re looking at?

As far as resolution goes, 1440p is a good step up from 1080p when you get to larger screen sizes.

If you haven’t yet, see if you can go into the store to see this screen for yourself. Monitors are one of those things that are nice to get a feel for when possible. If not, be sure to check as many reviews for it as possible.

• DataDesign

@triforcefx The model is below. Thanks

Lenovo™ C32q-20 31.5" QHD WLED Monitor, HDMI, DisplayPort, Audio line-out

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2020

Hi,

Its a 8 bit + 10 bit frc ips panel. If you don't mind the stand or the cheap feel, then its probably a really good deal.

Do note that the size of a monitor plays no part in how much real estate you have in HitFilm, e.g. A 2560x1440 24" Is identical to a 32", a 40", and so on. Its a matter of resolution and in small part the pixel density for clarity, you can calculate the Pixels Per Inch (PPI) here: https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

First run your current monitor through it, and see if the PPI is smaller or bigger than the monitor youre considering. A smaller number means everything you see on the screen will appear bigger, vice versa.

This is important, because if your eye sight, viewing distance and monitor size mean you have to use the DPI zoom slider in the OS, then you should increase the size of the monitor until thats not true anymore, assuming you like your viewing distance and dont want to/cant adjust your viewing distance. Scaling causes issues with the UI, and HitFilm is not unique to that behaviour.

• DataDesign
    edited November 2020

@kevin_n

What if I just want to be able to see better? Older eyes, need to have bigger screen to see the stupid little icons, tabs, gears, arrows, circles and words. Pictures are not too clear either, sounds may be fading. Why am I typing this? Oh, now I remember. PPI is 93.4.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,213 Enthusiast

I do think 2560x1440 is a good single monitor rez in Hitfilm. You should notice the extra real estate. 1440 is what I am running, albeit on a 27" monitor. 32 will make everything bigger at the same viewing distance. As you say, maybe good for old eyes. Right now you are at 1080 on a 27 so things are big right now and 32 at 1440 might keep pretty close in that regard. A really big monitor up close may have you moving your head around to see the full screen.

As for old man eyes. I am near sighted and I wear my computer classes at the keyboard. They set my ideal focus distance at monitor distance. They are +1 over my regular prescription of -3.75. They still work as regular all around glasses. Just not as perfect for far vision.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

Enjoy your new monitor!

• DataDesign

Picked it up this afternoon. But have not opened it yet. Tomorrow it is then.