Rendering Artifacts

iliketosleep
iliketosleep Website User Posts: 9 Just Starting Out
edited November 2020 in HitFilm

Hi,

I am fairly new to the editing and YouTube scene. I finally decided to record and edit a video. Now that I have recorded, edited, and rendered it, it has a bunch of artifacts that I can't seem to get rid of. I spent hours on the footage and it took 2 hours for it to render. Here is a example clip from my edit. I double checked to see if my recording software was the culprit. It wasn't, it was HitFilm. Help is appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Website User Posts: 301 Enthusiast
    edited November 2020

Any details on your source media? Effects used, render settings and so on?

• iliketosleep

I've used nearly no effects, only sometimes transitions, trimming, audio adjustment, and music. I used a "RGB Key" at the end for a greenscreen Subscribe and Thumbs up effect. That's it.

• EvilDaystar
    edited November 2020

What about the media you used? Format? Encoding? BitRate?

What about your render settings? What did you render toand with what settings?

Does it do this over the entire video or just one section?

Does it do this with anything you render of just this project?

Basically you just called the doctor and when he asked you what was wrong all you said was "It hurts." 😋

We need more data to make our diagnosis ... be calm, we're professionals here (professional amateurs but still).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2020

Hi,

Edit: Watched this initially on my mobile phone. After watching it on my monitor it looks more like a bitrate compression issue where you've set the bitrate too low. The below explanation might still apply so I'll leave it just in case.

Artifacting in encoding is 99/100 times sharing cause with artifacting in general - high GPU and/or high temperatures on the wrong areas of the graphics card not just the GPU die.

HitFilm is using a widely used mainconcept encoder found in many different products.

Download and install some type of GPU temperature monitor, like MSI Afterburner if youre using a dedicated GPU, and CPU temperature monitor if youre using a integrated GPU, e.g Intel HD/UHD/Radeon R/Vega, CoreTemp - to see how high the temperature gets when encoding.

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

The longer you spend encoding, the higher the temperature gets, if using a dedicated GPU, the heat is spread across all components on the board not just the GPU die/heatspreader.

It would help if you listed your PC specs.

• iliketosleep
    edited November 2020

Hi,

I've re rendered the project with the YouTube 1080p preset. No luck, looks like it got a little better but still bad. In some places it gets extremely blurry too.

My computer specs are:

i7 - 920

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

Samsung SSDs

12GB of slow ram

The GPU temperature was around 78 - 80 degrees Celsius during rendering. The video was recorded in H.264 at 2k resolution, 60 FPS, MP4. No idea what the bitrate is. It shows across nearly the entire video.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,261 Ambassador

@iliketosleep As @EvilDaystar asked previously, please post some information on your source footage. MediaInfo is a great tool for this. Install it and post the Tree output. Here is a quick video on how to use it.

• iliketosleep

Here is the MediaInfo on the original unedited footage recorded from Xsplit Gamecaster

• iliketosleep

Here is the one from the render.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,305 Ambassador

I'm definitely not one of the video compression gurus here, so take this with a grain of salt, but here are my quick observations:

1. Your 2-second sample clip has a LOT of movement, with the video content changing very quickly in a short span of time. That could be part of the cause of the artifacting. The default YouTube 1080p preset is good for general stuff, but probably not for high motion stuff.
    2. Your MediaInfo report shows that your export is 60fps. I'm pretty sure the YouTube 1080p preset is optimized for stuff closer to 24/25/30fps. Using the same settings for a 60fps video is asking the encoder to pack twice as much data into the same space, which is also asking for artifacting trouble.

If you want high movement to look good at 60fps, you'll need to boost the encoding settings...somewhere. (This is where an expert needs to step in.)

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,261 Ambassador

In addition, the incoming footage is Variable Frame Rate which reeks havoc with most NLE's. I would suggest at least transoding to Constant Frame Rate before bringing into HF to edit. That combined with what Justin said about high movement could be exacerbating the problem.

Handbrake is a good choice as a transcoder for this application.

• EvilDaystar

Ok! Now we're cooking with propane!

First thing that jumps out at me is it converted it from 60 to 59.94 frames per second. I know that's a throwback to TV standards but why did it do that here? Might not even be related just interesting.

Your frame rate in OBS is also set to variable ... that is strange. I know OBS Studio defaults to CFR ... what version of OBS are you using?

Also, check to see if your render profile makes use of "From Source" for the FPS.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

@NormanPCN ?

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020

My suggestion is increase the min and mix bitrate targets of your next export to at least 30000/50000 respectively. Your bitrate is way too low for the fps and movement youre outputting.

As for transcoding, keep that in mind for future projects, if audio and video dont appear to be affected by stutter or desynchs then leave as is and only worry about the bitrate.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast

Yes, 13.6 and 16Mbps max is quite low. 30/50Mbps is probably high. Depends on what your usage target is.

I know Youtube recommends 12Mbps for 1080p60 and that is probably enough for their transcode which will be at an even lower bitrate.

If your target is low bitrate sources like Youtube and such then their result is likely to be lower quality than your Hitfilm result which you already do not like.

• [Deleted User]

@NormanPCN Depends on what your usage target is.

Theres a lot of particles and fast motion in the game the user is playing, which is Minecraft. It may be on the higher part of the scale, but it would eliminate the bitrate as a factor when troubleshooting.

• iliketosleep

Hi all, and thank you for your help.

I've attempted to rerender with every option available and attempted to use all of your suggestions. Sadly, none of them worked. I still get artifacts, should I just switch programs altogether or should I try rendering on my laptop?

• EvilDaystar

Grab Shotcut or Davinci Resolve and try rendering with those to see if the problem is the program or your footage.

• iliketosleep

I'm confused, Davinci Resolve 16 won't take my .hfp. Is there a converter or should I restart the entire project?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,798 Ambassador

You will not be able to transfer a Hitfilm project to Resolve. Before you commit to re-editing you'll just want to toss in the problematic clip(s) and do a test render.

• EvilDaystar

No. You'll need to edit in resolve from scratch.

Apparently HF16 will be able to export for other editors.

• iliketosleep
    edited November 2020

Just started the "test" export. Ran into some FPS issues, but I RESOLVED them (;

• iliketosleep

Now it says the render job failed as the clip cannot be decoded/processed. So I guess this entire time it was my footage, huh?

• EvilDaystar

That's why I suggested trying another editor.

Sorry your footage is the issue.