Turn 2D Video into 3D Animations - AI Motion Capture

deepmotion
deepmotion Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

Hi There!

I recently came across some threads here talking about cheap options for motion capture. I wanted to share our currently free service Animate 3D with you all!

Animate 3D is an AI-driven cloud service that turns 2D videos of human motion into 3D animations that can then be downloaded as an FBX or BVH file. Zero need for suits, hardware or other setups. Our recent V2.0 update allows you to upload custom 3D characters directly into the platform and retargets that animation for you to help streamline that process for you, especially for Blender users.

Like I said, it's currently free, no limitations on uploaded videos or downloaded animations. Anything you create can be used commercially in any way you see fit!

Happy to answer any questions!

www.Animate-3D.com

-The DeepMotion Team

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,684 Ambassador

Fellow mods...

Let it stand. Absolutely a useful tool, and something I've actually been meaning to try for myself for a couple of months... This weekend, in fact!

Potentially the cheap mo-cap we've all been looking for. 😁

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,201 Expert

@Trieim23 Yeah, I bookmarked the video on Youtube when I saw it. Looks promising for sure.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,628 Enthusiast
    edited November 2020

Interesting!!

Um, not an app you download. It appears you upload your video file and their internal software captures the motion. Guess I put this in the question for testing at later date? Not much explaining on how to get the mocap file though.

Any help here OP?

Edit: "uploaded videos or downloaded animations" I didn't read well the first time. My bad. πŸ‘

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer AlaskaPosts: 564 Enthusiast
  • tddavis
    edited November 2020

@GrayMotion I created an account but haven't filmed anything to test yet. I did try to upload the Baby Yoda model I found but it said something about parenting so I have to figure that out before I can use it. I was never happy with his turn in my last year's Christmas vid. 😁

• deepmotion

We are working on a Custom Character FAQ blog as we speak, it should be out this week! In the meantime, please use this guide if you're knowledgeable about rigging, otherwise we have found Mixamo characters work well out of the box and are free!

• tddavis
    edited November 2020

@deepmotion Hmmm, that's useful info. Im learning rigging stuff so the snag is all on my end. 😁 But I did run that Baby Yoda through mixamo so maybe I should try uploading that one instead of the original. Thanks.

• TonyCee
    TonyCee Posts: 779 Ambassador

@Triem23 This was held by the filter for spam, I was like Holy#### that needs to be published, such a cool tool @deepmotion very promising stuff, I look forward to trying this in the future! keep up the good work :)

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer AlaskaPosts: 564 Enthusiast

Just tried to do some testing and it looks like it has great potential, but still seems pretty buggy, there is an odd thing that happened repeatedly when I try to upload (see attachment), not sure what that's about, I was able to upload a clip and got some acceptable results, It would not export the animation with the Miximo model I uploaded or the default Deepmotion models , so when I popped it open in blender to give it the pre Hitfilm wash, all I had was a animated jumble of bones, and I'm no blender guru, so the test was pretty inconclusive, will try it again another time with a another Miximo model.

• deepmotion

Thanks for trying out the service! We are going to be releasing a new quality update early next week, so feel free to check back then to see if it addresses some of the quality issues you're seeing (if any).

As far as the notice you recieved, sometimes you'll see that when new servers are booting up - that is also an experience we're working on so there is a more seamless experience when more people are using the service at the same time. It's not very common, so please check back in and we'd love to get any updated feedback you have on the speed.

Our default DeepMotion models do not have mesh attached to them, they are only for viewing your animation in the previewer, so when you export it, it's just the animation by itself and would require retargeting. If you would like to export the animation with your custom character, you'll need to make sure you choose the desired file types upon choosing your video you're uploading before you generate the animation. If you experience a specific error while trying to download, I'd love to know what that is so I can address it with our engineers.

Thanks!

The DeepMotion Team

• deepmotion
    edited November 2020

Hey everyone - I said I'd follow up with our Custom Character FAQ which we just pushed live today. Feel free to take a look and try it out!

EDIT: They were default turned off BUT I've now turned on my e-mail notifications so should be able to respond quicker to any issues/questions you might have. Thanks!

• deepmotion

Another quality update from us - We thought you might be interested in our recent V2.1 update - it dramatically improves foot gliding issues, ground penetration & more: