The new printing press: digital video + creator culture

SimonKJones
SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
Here's something a little different. Partly to find out what Medium was like as a publishing platform I wrote this article, which I'm now sharing with you guys as it might be of interest to some of you.
If you're old, it might trigger some nostalgia. If you're young, prepare to find out how good you've really got it.
Here's the link: https://medium.com/@Tarnimus/the-new-printing-press-a910fe32478e

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,065 Ambassador
    Well written, Simon. And, yes... Memories, ranging from two VHS decks routed thru a radio shack mixer with boombox and casio sk-1 thru my first cut on a full-linear setup (taking 20 hours to cut a three-minute montage), to mini-DV (Firewire was a godsend) but rendering out 320x240 proxies to today...
    Simon's right, btw. You kids have no clue how good you have it. Hitfilm Ultimate 2 easily has the power of a million-dollar editing suite from 15 years ago.
  • JoeyVFX
    JoeyVFX Posts: 38
    Well written, Simon. And, yes... Memories, ranging from two VHS decks routed thru a radio shack mixer with boombox and casio sk-1 thru my first cut on a full-linear setup (taking 20 hours to cut a three-minute montage), to mini-DV (Firewire was a godsend) but rendering out 320x240 proxies to today...
    Simon's right, btw. You kids have no clue how good you have it. Hitfilm Ultimate 2 easily has the power of a million-dollar editing suite from 15 years ago.

I have no clue... :)

• Triem23

I have no clue... :)
    Do NOT make me get all "GET OFF MY LAWN!" here. ;-) :-P
  • CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    That was a lovingly written article. I liked it allot! However I would say yes smartphones do have hd cameras but think phones should have mastered the quality of a SD smartphone camera. As current phone have allot of artifacts and noise. However would definitely agree that we have it much better than you o..... Thanks for writing that!
  • JoeyVFX
    JoeyVFX Posts: 38
    Yeah, we don't even have to edit on 2 VCRs! I can't even imagine how long it would take to master that art.
  • Triem23
    That was a lovingly written article. I liked it allot! However I would say yes smartphones do have hd cameras but think phones should have mastered the quality of a SD smartphone camera. As current phone have allot of artifacts and noise. However would definitely agree that we have it much better than you o..... Thanks for writing that!

I think phone makers are pushing too much for pixel resolution these days--it's the bragging point. Another issue with smartphones is very tiny lenses and sensors. They just don't get a lot of light--then, the smartphone codecs are very very very highly compressed. But smartphones are the coolest invention ever, IMHO! My smartphone lets me: Shoot video record audio, take stills, converse with anyone in the world, look up almost anything in the world, tell me where I am, tell me how to get somewhere, and, with proper software can even do things like function as a level, estimate sizes of objects, and detect power lines in walls! How awesome, truly, awesome is that!

Yeah, we don't even have to edit on 2 VCRs! I can't even imagine how long it would take to master that art.

Takes patience, I tell you what. Consumer VHS decks didn't have any kind of frame-by-frame search for the most part. Start/Stop was accurate to maybe a second if you were lucky. You'd be watching tape 1, recording to deck 2, hitting pause on deck 2 at the correct point finding the next shot on tape one--rewinding a little early, watching deck 1, hitting unpause on deck two... pausing deck two, search tape, repeat.... Slow, slow, slow... Kinda fun at the time!
    Linear editing systems were better. here, you had two decks controlled by a microprcessor, accurate to a frame. You load your ape on deck one, find your in point, mark it, find your out point, mark it. Hit assemble. Watch the decks move in unison... Review edit on deck 2, re-review. No, really, am I happy, because once I move on I can't lengthen or shorten this edit without redoing everything? Where's the log sheet? Oh, hell, the next shot is on a different tape. *eject, insert, wind, search*.
    I had to cut a 3-minute montage of the story of Superman once on a linear system--it took about 30 hours. These days, I could do it in 2.