make a projection appear on a curve or dome. similar to hunger games "the fallen" type trans

Hi guys,
I need to replicate something like is seen in the hunger games and catching fire. When in the game zone a list I'd the fallen is displayed protected on the dome in the sky. While I know how to do a hologram type setup in a flat plane, how would I make this appear on a curved surface of the inside of a dome. I know this was done in the weeping willow fan film but I don't know how to achieve this in hit film. Thanks

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    You can use the Environment Map Viewer effect to map any layer onto the inside of a sphere.  That might help you get where you are headed.
  • DreamArchitect
    DreamArchitect Posts: 597 Enthusiast
    Interesting, I'll give it a try. Thanks Axel.
  • DreamArchitect
    I only need a small area of the screen to show this curve though. If you have seen the movie you would know what I mean. Will this technique work for that or is it possible to "warp" a layer into a curve?
  • DreamArchitect
    if I can get to grips with it I think Bezier warp might be what I'm looking for
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,062 Ambassador
    edited July 2014
    Bezier could work. Take a look at the Bulge tool. It's a 2D effect that links to a 3D point, like Sphere, and behaves like something pushing or pulling the layer to a curved shape. It's in the Distort effects.
    If you create your hologram small-ish, say, 800 px wide in a large, say 3200x3200 comp, by embedding that and using Environment Map on it and adjusting the scale values a bit you could get the hologram to only take up part of the "sky."
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,062 Ambassador
    Bulge 'can not' be transformed from a 3D point like Sphere, there is little in Hitfilm to do this with control over tracking, Bezier will do it very quickly if the shot is a simple one.

Well, Bulge actually will cheerfully drive the center from a 3D point and apply bulge to a 3D layer, but the render will be handled as a 2D distortion, so it will work, but bezier warp is probably better for almost all shots.