3d animated hand writing

markluckey
markluckey Website User Posts: 26 Just Starting Out
edited November 2020 in HitFilm

I've been trying to create this animated hand writing effect with a 3d camera in Blender but I am having trouble so I was thinking I should try to create it in Hitfilm Pro 14. Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach creating the 3d text and the writing animation part. I started tying to figure it out in BCC extruded text but I haven't used it much, so I am wondering if I am even choosing the best tool.

I think I under stand how to animate the text reveal using keyframed masks

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3QZVEfGpc&list=PLEG13sSZ2eZ0rnLxlyLIxWtCneXNcok5P&index=1

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,976 Ambassador

Hi

not the easiest thing to create, however you might be able to use the info in the video below to make the effect of the font being drawn on screen. Then once you have that working go back to your Text Comp and play with some effects that will make it look 3d or chrome looking if that's the look your going for.

Your right Borris might have something but I don't know it so well so can't advise.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,702 Ambassador

@CleverTagline recently posted a workflow for achieving this effect in HitFilm Pro using the Neon Path Effect as a matte used to reveal the text. Justin, where exactly is that thread?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,964 Ambassador

@FilmSensei and @CleverTagline both have useful video but both are focused on 2D text. So, how do we turn this to 3D?

If you're doing this in Hitfilm Express you'll need add-on packs. VFX: Starter Pack has the 3D Extrusion effect. This can be purchased on it's own in the Add-On store for $9.99 or it's part of the $9.99 tier Pay What you Will, along with a couple of other packs.

3D Extrusion will give you a straight extrusion with no beveling options, but you'll be able to rotate the text in 3D space (by connecting the "Transform From" property in the effect to a 3D Point layer). It's a psuedo-3D effect. The effect is calculated in 3D space and reacts to scene lights (and you can assign an Environment Map), 3D position data and camera angle, but it's rendered to a 2D image layer.

However, it will respect any masks or mattes you've made to do the write on effect.

There are other add-ons in Express - the 3D: Generate pack - but those filters only work directly on Text Layers (the 3D Extrusion effect works on any layer type), and will not respect masks/matte correctly.

I did a quick test in HF to verify this.

• FilmSensei

@Triem23 I believe that you can create the 3D look however you want and then comp it in over the top of your BG plate. You could even do it in another application like Photoshop, Gimp, Blender, etc... and then just render it out as a transparent PNG file or something like that. The process of revealing it from there would be the same as revealing basic text or any other transparent line art.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,964 Ambassador

@FilmSensei well, yeah, that works, too. :)

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,195 Ambassador

@FilmSensei I finally found the thread, while also finding a serious flaw in the new forum's search features. Anyway, here's the post:

• FilmSensei

@CleverTagline Any chance you will do a tutorial on it? If not, would it be alright if I did one? I would give you and your channel 100% credit for it. I would love to see a tutorial from you, though.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,195 Ambassador

@FilmSensei In theory it's supposed to be next after I do one for the Marauder's Map footsteps, but there's still more stuff I want to play with before starting production on that one. Unfortunately I haven't messed with that in weeks, and don't know when I'll get back to it, so there's no telling when I'll get to the handwriting tutorial.

If you want to do it, feel free.