UI Buttons Not Aligned Properly? Odd Black Frame?

GreyFoggyDay
GreyFoggyDay Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
edited October 2020 in HitFilm

Hey all,

Just installed Express 15 in Windows 10, and the UI buttons are not lining up properly at all. In order to select anything or click any button within the applications UI I need to position the cursor above said button by several cursor lengths. It also has an odd black frame surrounding the application when windowed.

Has anyone else had this issue? I should add that this is not an old install of Windows, it's a fairly new install. This doesn't happen for me in the macOS version or other versions I have installed here on Windows 10.

Anyone who knows of a fix that'd be great.

EDIT: Adding an image to show one of the issues.

Tagged:

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@GreyFoggyDay I seem to recall this being an issue in the past with systems that were using a specific Intel graphics, but I am not strong enough in the technical specs to say for sure. If you could list the CPU, GPU RAM (You already gave us OS, so kudos there) it will help those with the required technical skills to tell if this is the case here.

• GreyFoggyDay

It's Windows 10, the more recent 2004 numbered update. My system specs are a Intel Core i5-4570R running at 2.70GHz. I have 8GB of ram installed (This is a 21.5 inch late 2013 Apple iMac, I can't add anymore sadly.), and lastly it has an Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 which I think has a max of 2GB shared memory.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator
    edited October 2020

@GreyFoggyDay Ok, that will help the gurus out, I'm sure. I think @TheBenNorris has posted about this before so I tagged him to see. It's night now in the UK, so it will be tomorrow most likely.

• bdazzled
    bdazzled Posts: 70 Enthusiast

IMPORTANT: This is coming from a Mac user, so it might not be 100% accurate, so sorry if you read this whole post for nothing....

---

@GreyFoggyDay: I had the same issue a while back and the fix was as follows:

If you hide the top menu bar on your computer and fullscreen, it goes all weird like you described. The aspect ratio of your computer is being changed, but Hitfilm's not. So either

(a) disable hiding the menu bar

(b) make the window smaller before full screening.

• GreyFoggyDay

I too am a Mac user, but am having no issues with Express 15 in macOS. This odd error displayed above coupled with the offset buttons is puzzling. I have tried minimizing and maximizing the windows and resizing them but the issue still persists.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

I havent been a mac user since 2012, hoppfullt steps still apply.

If @CMFIlms great suggestion isnt working, then try this,

Make sure that the HD 5200 is up to date

Open System Preferences and go to Displays. On the Display tab, you'll see two options at the top of the window for Resolution: Default for display should be selected.

Did that fix it?

• GreyFoggyDay
    edited October 2020

"Just installed Express 15 in Windows 10"

"I should add that this is not an old install of Windows, it's a fairly new install. This doesn't happen for me in the macOS version"

"It's Windows 10, the more recent 2004 numbered update."

I am using Windows 10. I only MENTIONED that I use it on macOS as well, on top of which I also stated I have no issues with the software on that OS.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

As @tddavis said before this is a known issue that affects certain Intel GPUs that are "end of life" (out of production and no longer receiving driver updates). I'm not certain if the Iris Pro 5200 is on that list. A Support ticket can help determine this.

If it's a NEW installation of Windows the odds are old drivers were installed (the driver that matches the release date of the Windows build.

Bottom line is you'll need to try updating your GPU drivers and you'll need to do this from the Intel site. In 2018 Intel changed how they distribute drivers and you can't trust Windows Update to accurately update Intel drivers. After that, contact Support.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

Are you bootcamping Windows 10 or is it a seperate PC?

If its on the Mac (sounds like it), then Disable the HD 5200, you don't need that adapter active at all, you have a dedicated GPU.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx