Regaining Full Editing Powers

GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
edited October 25 in General

I have several broken links inside of my personnel thread that I would like to remove. As the title asks: what will it take for me to regain personnel thread editing powers so I can tidy up my thread that's 5 years old?

Why I want to tidy up -

a)Broken links makes for a bad user experience

b)Broken links restrict the flow of link equity throughout your site, which impacts rankings negatively

Thanks

Comments

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,928 Enthusiast
    edited October 26

Cast your vote https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/54409/please-make-the-forum-edit-timer-unlimited#latest

In the meantime, I guess that a moderator role is required, or perhaps ambassador

In any case, it's gone unnoticed and has made it difficult as you noticed. Right now there's only a 30 day edit timer for us peasants.

With this new forum there's no distinction between trusted and active users and newer users in terms of visible roles. The "Enthusiast" is evidence of this. I also calculated that I'd take me 410 days of actively participating like I am now, to earn the "Expert" role - whatever that means for a user I have no idea. Wish there was a guide at least.

I'd love this ability too. I have a thread with a large scope aimed to help any/all hardware purchasing based on price:performance. Something this forum lacks, completely halted. :(

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
  • GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
    edited October 26

@kevin_n aka CNK?? I didn't see your post from a few weeks back. My apologies. I've been out-of-pocket for 30-45 days.

Yes. It does appear that the current user base structure would require moderator/ambassador level access to edit/remove content but it is possible to add another user class that could give "Legacy" powers to authored threads (minus removals and moderation) to a user. It just takes a little creativity with the forum "god" to make it so. 👍

Yes, but I haven't settled on a new name yet. It seems to be super buggy since capitalization don't work at all for me. :(

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,566 Staff

Thanks for raising this, we are aware and looking into it. Unfortunately the forum software isn't developed by us, and we are actively communicating with the team responsible to help get issues like this sorted.

• EvilDaystarEvilDaystar Website User Posts: 211 Enthusiast

@TheBenNorris weird because this forum isn't particularly complex. I thought this had been made in house.

Due to Covid causing our government offices to close (I work for a small secretariat here in Canada as my dayjob), I ended up having to build a staff only external website from scratch that included a forum very similar to this.

Because of the urgency (Staff not allowed in the office and insufficient remote access infrastrucrure), I didn't bother getting an off the shelf solution ... too much red tape with procurement rules and I'm a team of one and didn't have time to fight integrating a solution into the rest of the site so literally built something like this from scratch in under a week. It was a little rough around the edges but still.

The site was only used for about 2 months with the government of Canada quickly revamping its remote access infrastructure.

• philipwessonphilipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 129 Staff
    edited October 26

Hey all, Phil here

You should now have editing capability. Please give it a test, and let me know if it works properly.

Edited by kevin_n

edited October 26

@philipwesson

I can edit comments and discussions, however I can do that with anyone's, not just my own. It's currently set to behave like a mini moderator if you will, is that what your intentions were? Please see your comment as evidence of this.

I'm happy that this has gained some traction. I appreciate all of you at FXHome

• philipwessonphilipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 129 Staff

Ok, standby everyone!

Ok, Fixed!

Members can now edit their own posts without a time limit.

Mods, Ambassadors, and Administrators can edit Member's posts (so, behave everyone!)

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

@philipwesson

Thank you for a quick response AND tweak. Excellent. Keep up the good work sir👍