Halo Energy Sword Advice

Hello Everyone,
If I am going to film a scene with a Halo Energy sword, should I just use a handle or should the prop actually have a blade that I will then roto over?
Also, what is the best way to go about creating the blade in Hitfilm? Should I create an electric energy pre-comp that I then make a blade mask out of?
Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• JoeyVFX
    JoeyVFX Posts: 38 Enthusiast
    What will the blade be doing? Does it just need to be glowing?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    I don't know the effect you are referring to, but you will almost always want to have a blade on the prop, for several reasons.  First, it gives you a clear and accurate indication of where the effect blade should be.  Second, if the blade contacts anything in the scene, it ensures that the contact occurs realistically, and that the handle stops in the right spot and at the right angle, so the final effects are believable.
    The only time when you don't want a blade, would be if there is an ignition, similar to a lightsaber being turned on.  The easiest way to do this is to have no blade for the shot where the ignition occurs, then cut, and you want a prop blade in place thereafter for the fighting or whatever the blade is used for.  You could also erase the blade for the ignition scene, using Clone Stamp or whatever, but its a lot more work that way.
  • JCL_Films
    JCL_Films Posts: 159 Enthusiast
    I don't know the effect you are referring to, but you will almost always want to have a blade on the prop, for several reasons.  First, it gives you a clear and accurate indication of where the effect blade should be.  Second, if the blade contacts anything in the scene, it ensures that the contact occurs realistically, and that the handle stops in the right spot and at the right angle, so the final effects are believable.
    The only time when you don't want a blade, would be if there is an ignition, similar to a lightsaber being turned on.  The easiest way to do this is to have no blade for the shot where the ignition occurs, then cut, and you want a prop blade in place thereafter for the fighting or whatever the blade is used for.  You could also erase the blade for the ignition scene, using Clone Stamp or whatever, but its a lot more work that way.

Thanks for the advice Axel! In other words your saying to treat it like you would treat a lightsaber prop. I was suspecting this was the best way to go, but I was not quite sure. :)

• JCL_Films
    JCL_Films Posts: 159 Enthusiast
    What will the blade be doing? Does it just need to be glowing?

I want it to get as close as possible to the plasma-like energy that the Halo sword has. So there would most likely be some animation in the energy comp (if that is the best way to go).  Maybe some fractal noise?

• Daniloth
    Daniloth Posts: 52 Enthusiast
    Also, I'd make sure there's some displacement there.  Not sure about the beveled edge.  
    Might it be worth using a green prop and putting a few tracking markers on it?  
  • PhilWesson
    PhilWesson Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    I did something similar to this. I made a quick prop that had a handle, and a piece of foam core (1" wide by whatever length I was looking for) that had tracking markers on it. I made the "energy sword" in Photoshop with a transparency and saved it as a png. I added it as a 3d plane, and used the position/scale/rotation tracking data for the prop on it.