[Feature] "Media Bin level" Effects Chains.

Triem23
Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Ability to add (Mask) Effects (Transform) chains to Media at the Bin level. Effects would automatically populate all instances of a clip project-wide. Order of Ops would apply before (Track) Object level Effects.

Implementation would probably be via right-click menu.

Would probably require some sort of "FX" icon that would appear next to the Cog icon for clips with Effects. Alternately this icon could always exist and function as the button.

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

I like this. In Vegas speak, media effects happen before all conformance. Media native frame size and rate. If that is a major problem for the engine I think it still would be okay if done after conformance.

I suppose the controls panel could have a media effects hierarchy group. That way we have a UI way to drop and edit and view effects with existing Hitfilm UI elements.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

@NormanPCN for "simplicity" (or consistency) I'd argue for a button that just sends to a Controls Panel identical to the Editor Timeline (which does have keyframes) over a new interface, but you might have specific, logical ideas I'm not visualizing.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast
    edited October 2020

I was thinking. We have such ability in Hitfilm right now for Vegas style "MediaFX". Create a comp of the whole media. Put your effects on that media layer. Now use that comp instead of the media everywhere.

One negative, You do lose audio waveforms and NLE thumbnails. Unless you pre-render and that is a sub-optimal system that could make this use a PITA or completely not worth attempting.

edit: A the trimmer is lost.