Is this a good computer for hitfilm?

jtjutsvfxjtjutsvfx Website User Posts: 35 Just Starting Out
edited October 15 in General

Hi there , I am considering buying a new computer and I wanted to run this by fxhome community quick. Do the following specs sound like a good computer for hitfilm and are they all compatible with hitfilm?

Windows 10 64 HP Envy

Intel Core i7-10750H (2.6 GHz, up to 5 GHz, 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores) + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti (4 GB)

32 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)

1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Thank you! I have been searching to make sure that all of these are compatible with hitfilm, but just as an extra check I wanted to run it my the community. I am somewhat of a noob when it comes to computer hardware.😁

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,829 Ambassador

Howdy @jtjutsvfx ,

Do your best to purchase something that can be easily upgraded later on, with better hardware as you develop skills.

"Intel Core i7-10750H (2.6 GHz, up to 5 GHz, 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)"

I'd get a cpu with more cores, at least minimum of 8 cores. Again, get more if you're able, if not you can always upgrade later.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti (4 GB)

I'd get something with a lot more gigs than 4. 8 gigs is okay-ish for a gpu but if you can... always go higher and if not, you can always upgrade later.

32 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)

This is okay-ish for minimum ram but higher is always better. 64 gigs should be pretty affordable.

1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Two of these would be better, the more the better, try to get something with as fast a read and write speed as you can.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator

@jtjutsvfx While I am by no means a tech expert like, @kevin_n those spec certainly look like they hit the main points for Hitfilm to me.

• jtjutsvfxjtjutsvfx Website User Posts: 35 Just Starting Out

Hi @tddavis, thats what I thought. @spydurhank, thank you for responding quickly. I don't typically do very intense editing. I will be working with a good deal of 4k stock footage though.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,829 Ambassador

Yeah, that's cool and no problem, :)

I do super heavy and intensive 3D compositing and have a monster machine thanks to my oldest sister but it also handles 4K footage very well.

I've got a 32 core thread ripper machine with a 24 gig rtx titan and a 32 gig radeon pro duo polaris, 64 gigs of ram and one of those 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD with a 2 extra sold state drives.

WOW! Thank you for your input. Looks like you have quite a monster of a machine! 😁

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,931 Enthusiast
    edited October 15

That is the most balanced laptop that someone has posted for these types of workloads.

We might be able to find something even faster, or the same for less - it never hurts to look around.

Key points

• Budget, currency, ordering online?
    • Laptop absolutely necessary?
    • Longevity, what do you expect from your purchase?

Hi @kevin_n, longevity is very important to me. I have had a laptop much weaker then this one for a long time and my editing goes pretty well on it. If you have any recommendations for a computer that would last a while then I would love to hear about it.

thank you!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,301 Ambassador

As @kevin_n says, that's a pretty balanced laptop. But...

I don't know what country you're in, but I suggest looking at sites that configure custom gaming laptops. Usually you can configure something a bit more powerful for your dollar than an HP or Dell. ASUS, MSI and Clevo/Sager are high value machines.

I'm seeing the laptop you posted for about $1200-$1300 USD (depending on vendor). I just configured a laptop through CyberpowerPC and for about $1300 I got a Ryzen7 4800H (basically the same speed as that i7-10750H, but 8 cores, not 6), a 6GB Nvidia 2060 (twice as fast as the 1650ti and more RAM) with 32GB of RAM and 2TB of SSD (2x1TB as C: and D:).

Now I hit a sale so you might not get that price, but, for laptops I ALWAYS recommend looking at custom game configuration sites. An evening of comparison always turns up a configuration that's more powerful for the money than a pre-build.

Some of the configuration sites will also calibrate your monitor, overclock your system and install a version of Windows that's had as much useless stuff removed as possible (I'll pay the site $25 for the optimized version of Windows rather than spend a day uninstalling things!)

Another thing - most laptop screens are pretty bad - like 65% NTSC color gamut/79% sRGB. The custom sites, for some models, can upgrade to a really nice panel that's more like 110% sRGB/100% NTSC. If you've never worked on a properly calibrated screen that can actually display the complete color gamuts for video, you don't know what you're missing! CyberpowerPC, for example, has the Studio variants that are $400 more expensive, but have the kickass screen. I didn't have that in my budget (this $1200 machine was, for me, a "budget" option)

The disadvantage of custom configuration is you'll have to wait a bit. CyberpowerPC turned my machine around in about a week (but their factory is 3 min from my house), whereas, say, Xoticpc always took about a month.

Anyways, just a thought. The machine you've asked about is a pretty good balance for a pretty good price. If you're in a hurry and just want the machine ASAP (and can get that build for $1000-$1100), go for it. If you can take a little time and can put in a little more research, look up custom configuration sites. I mentioned CyberpowerPC (good prices, good customer service, but plastic chassis and terrible microphones/webcams - that's why they can offer a 2060 for the price of a 1650...) Xoticpc (good prices, have Sager - my favorite brand - but slow and their customer service got so bad they drove me to CyberpowerPC), or others like OriginPC, iBuyPower, CUKUSA, Xidax, AVADirect, Maingear...

You can look for sites selling Custom Video laptops, but most of those are selling you Sagers at a higher cost than the gaming sites I mentioned.

Thank you @Triem23! I’ll look into this.

Alright here is what I came out to.

windows 10 64 bit

AMD Ryzen™ 7 4800H 8cores /16 threads 2.90GHz Turbo 4.2GHz 12MB Cache Processor

AMD Renoir H Chipset

32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz SODIMM Memory (Performance Memory by Major Brands)

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (INCLUDED)

1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k(Single Drive)

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Dual Band, 2x2 2.4GHz, 5Ghz (160Mhz) + BT5.0 (Included)

What is a WiDi router?

Is this a good computer for HitFilm?

Thank you!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,301 Ambassador

The Ryzen 7 4800H and Nvidia 2060 is working very well for me in Hitfilm, and I do a lot of stuff with 3D models that's very intensive. With computers there's ALWAYS newer/faster/better, but that's a solid build that should serve for many years.

It's also an improvement over your prior build, which was already pretty good.

(Speaking of newer/faster/better, Nivida's new RTX 3090 GPU is a single GPU that costs more than your entire laptop build!)

WiDI is a mid-2010's tech to allow your Computer to wirelessly stream 1080p vieo to a WiDI compatible display. It's already a basically dead tech. I don't see that in your laptop build, why do you ask?

They asked if I wanted a WiDi router with the computer.🤔 This sounds great.

Is amd Ryzen the same and Amd Radeon?

Thank you!

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator

@jtjutsvfx No, they are not the same. Generally speaking, Ryzen is a CPU brand made by AMD and Radeon is a GPU made by AMD. Hope that helps.

IF you ALREADY have a Wi-Di compatible TV a Wi-Di router MIGHT be ok.

However, when I said Wi-Di is a basically dead technology, what I SHOULD have said is Wi-Di is an Intel technology that hasn't been worked on since 2015. It has been replaced by Miracast, and you shouldn't by a Wi-Di router.

Ryzen is AMDs CPU. Radeon is AMDs GPU. Different things.

Ok thanks everyone! You all have been so helpful! As long as this computer is compatible with HitFilm then this is great.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,931 Enthusiast
    edited October 16

You'll be plenty happy with the hardware you listed in your original post. I do think that we could find something even better, especially through the means which @Triem23 provided. One last piece of advise, because black friday is just around the corner, deals will start showing up throughout the month of november, amazon usually runs a full month to name one example. PC hardware and electronics in general go hand in hand with black friday. I picked up a 2 TB NVMe SSD for €90 last year. AMD generally has discounts on their Ryzen lines, and much more. Lastly since we have no idea how much you're about to spend on the laptop you listed, it's impossible for us to offer any advise directly pertaining to value, or performance:price...

WiDi is worthless