Camera for filming in business rooms/offices

elisonaxtoneelisonaxtone Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
edited October 19 in General

Hello. I'm working in the photo and film business, and I have a question about cameras. At my last work, I took pictures only outdoors (Camera Canon EOS 6D Mark II, 24-105 STM). Now I'm working on my own, but my new and first client ( www.worktime.com ) asked for indoor photos. Can I purchase the same camera for indoors? Is the EOS 6D a versatile camera?

Or is it better to buy smth different?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,286 Ambassador

In general the 6D is a solid, Full Frame Canon DSLR that should do fine indoors. The caveat here is, as with all photo and video work, in an indoor setting you'll need to control your light and maybe throw more light on a scene if the room illumination isn't bright enough (or well angled.) This has nothing to do with the camera, and would be an issue no matter what. It's a pretty good choice for the money.

If you're familiar with the Canon ecosystem your learning curve will be a lot smaller than, if for example, you were to switch to Nikon, Sony, Fuji or Panasonic.

There are so many good cameras available these days it's hard to make specific recommendations. You'll be able to find cameras with similar features from all major brands and a similar price point.

That said, the 6D "only" shoots 1080p video. In the Canon line, the 90D shoots 4k video (but has an APS-C crop sensor, so al EF lenses will have a 1.6x crop factor. A 50mm lens will function more like an 80mm lens) at the same price as the 6D. If 4K is a requirement, this is one of your better Canon options.

The Canon SL3 shoots 4K video, and is half the price of the 90D. That said, the SL3 is lower resolution for photos and has a lower ISO range/less low light performance than the 90D (or 6D0

Another option for 4K video shooting is the Canon t8i. In price and features it's midway between the SL3 and 90D. Honestly of those three the t8i is the one I'd write off. Better to spend the extra couple of hundred on the 90D (or 6D). all of hthese other cameras (SL3, 90D, t8i) are APS-C sensors.

For 4K video your other options (in Canon) are the 1DX Mk iii or 1DX Mk iii - both of these cameras are thousands more expensive than a 6D or 90D. Both are full-frame.

Finally, unless you already own Canon lenses, I confess I'm a bit hesitant to recommend Canon DSLRs these days. The successor to the 5D MK IV has been cancelled and Canon has announced cancellation of other DSLR lines. It looks like Canon is getting ready to shift away from DSLRs and focus their efforts on Mirrorless cameras. Those cameras use a different lens mount that the DSLRs so lens won't transfer between systems (without an adapter).

Canon Mirroless cameras in the price range of the 6D? The Canon RP is about $1200. The Canon M50 is about $600 with the m50 Mk II releasing later this year. The Canon M6mkII is another good option. If money is no object the Canon R5 is nearly $5000 but shots 8K internally.

Again, this only begins talking about the Canon line, because there are also attractive options from Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Fuji. I'll let users who are invested in those ecosystems talk more about them. There are even options in the "Cinema" cameras. The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4k and 6k are more geared towards video that photo work, but, since video is just shooting a lot of stills in a row, both of those also work well as still cameras.

• EvilDaystarEvilDaystar Website User Posts: 211 Enthusiast

For shooting in doors for clients pretty much any dslr will do. What you will need is lighting and knowledge of how to light a shot.

Here are shots I've done for clients with a 5d2 and a T3i and a bunch of remote flashes.

Pretty much any modern dslr will do for still and for video (unless they insist on 4k). You just need to learn about lighting and composition.

• EvilDaystarEvilDaystar Website User Posts: 211 Enthusiast

Also, it depends on where that video will end up. If it's for web? Shoot with just about anything. For broadcast ... you enter a whole other world of trouble. Broadcasters have very stringent technical requierments that most DSLRs can't match and some places like Netflix have very specific lists of gear that is approved.

The work I do is mostly small talking head videos for small businesses for their website so pretty much anything I shoot with meets their requirements.