Hitfilm error - "You seem to have not met minimum requirements..."

grace010grace010 Website User Posts: 1
edited October 14 in Post-production techniques

Hello, I have been trying to run hitfilm express on my HP Pavilion G6 for a while now but been seeing something like " you seem not to have met the minimum requirement...."

My laptop has the following specs:

8gb RAM;

500gb HDD;

Intel core i5 2450 processor

1gb dedicated AMD Radeon Integrated Graphics card( in addition to Intel HD 3000 graphics card)

Windows 10 Pro operating system..

I also tried installing hitfilm pro but getting another error message " could not start guard process." Please help out

Answers

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,925 Enthusiast

Hi,

Welcome to HitFilm!

We need to know the model # of that dedicated GPU.

To find out: Windows search > Dxdiag > Display tab

It should say which one you have. Once we know which one it is, then we'll be able to locate the correct GPU driver.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,566 Staff

Your CPU is under spec. A 4th gen intel cpu is our minimum spec.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

@grace010 if you've purchased Hitfilm Pro I think you'll need to contact Support for a refund.

I believe the reason you're getting the "don't meet minimum requirements" error is you don't meet minimum requirements.

• Windows: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
    • Internet connection: Required for online activation
    • Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors or AMD equivalent.
    • RAM: 4GB (8 GB Recommended)
    • Graphics card:
      • NVIDIA GeForce 600 (Kepler) series (2012)
      • AMD Radeon R5 240 (2013)
      • Intel HD Graphics 5000 (GT3) (2013)
      • Video memory 1 GB minimum (2GB or more required for 4K UHD)

The listed minimum CPU is a 4th-gen i3 or higher. That's 4xxx. Your i5-2450m is under minimum specs.

The listed minimum AMD GPU is the R5 240, released in 2013. Trawling the web, I think you have a Radeon 7670m, which was released in 2012. I'm pretty certain your GPU is under spec. Like @kevin_n says, if you can confirm your GPU, we can try pointing you to the most recent driver, but, in your case, I don't think it will help.

The listed minimum Intel GPU is the HD 5000. Your HD 3000 is under spec.

Sorry to bring bad news. If you're just running the demo of Pro you can uninstall. Again, if you purchased Pro (or any Express add-ons) you'll need to contact Support for a refund.

edited October 14

@TheBenNorris @Triem23 This is incorrect and an all too common oversight in spec sheets.

The i5 2350M is within spec to run HitFilm, and has decent instructions per clock due to the minor year to year improvements by Intel.

The confusion is because of a simplified spec sheet in regards to the CPU and GPU being bundled together with no clear indication of the difference if you also have a dGPU. Any x64 CPU with the necessary instruction sets can install (in this case also run) HitFilm.

4th gen CPU's host HD5000 graphics/controllers. It does not mean that anything <4th gen cannot run HitFilm, imo there needs to be a * there.

In addition, the AMD 240 dGPU in specs was slow and very close/outperformed by iGPU's from that same year.

Until @grace010 lets us know which dGPU the 1 GB AMD really is, its not possible to come to a conclusion just yet, in regards to specs or meeting min specs. All this does is that it might unnecessarily upset the customer.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

@grace010 I defer to @kevin_n. He's stronger on hardware knowledge than I.

• 2Buckey2Buckey Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out
    edited November 19

Hello :)

This is interesting discussion. These new requirements of Hitfilm are unclear to me. Maybe someone can shed some light on it.

New version of Hitfilm requires minimum 4th generation of Intel processor. I have i7 3770k at 4,2 Ghz, Hitfilm Pro 14 runs great together with RTX 2060s and 16 GB of ram. I tested Hitfilm 15 and it runs too - but in accordance of above it shouldn't...? Right?

As far as I know the 4th gen cpu have AVX2 instruction set and 3rd gen has only AVX. Is that the reason? Does some effects or functions in Hitfilm requires AVX2 instructions to run or is there another reason?

I noticed that in Hitfilm 15 masks in compositions behaved strangely - upper layer with mask was being covered by layer below. I thought it was some kind of bug with early 15.1 version... but maybe it is connected with cpu generation? I haven't tested this with newer versions of Hitfilm yet.

With Hitfilm 16 around the corner - do minimum requirements rise again? Am I able to upgrade the software or Hitfilm 14 is my upper limit? Considering minimum requirements the answer is obvious... although, @kevin_n response is interesting...

Thank you :)

@2Buckey the listed min specs for HF are a little over-simplified and err on the side of caution.

To "dumb down" @kevin_n comment above to MY level of understanding, Hitfilm is very GPU dependent and that's really the limiting factor. Your i7 3770k, if you didn't have a dedicated GPU would be unable to run the software. because you've got an RTX2060 in there, you're good to go.

HF 16 does not (to my knowledge) raise minimum hardware requirements.

That clarifies things and makes me calm. Thank you so much :)

edited November 19

@Triem23 @2Buckey

MY level of understanding, Hitfilm is very GPU dependent and that's really the limiting factor. Your i7 3770k, if you didn't have a dedicated GPU would be unable to run the software. because you've got an RTX2060 in there, you're good to go.

Yes, sort of. The only thing I'd add to that is this:

The CPU isn't less important, it's because CPU's have received almost no performance improvements year to year. At one point just a year or two before AMD Ryzen, Intel reached an all time low. What started as 10-15%, battling it out with AMD's phenoms, turned into a meager 2%, year to year.

Ok, so is this important in regards of speed and processing efficiency only?

Or is there other factors - I mean, only wondering and guessing: longer rendering time and slower performance in viewport/timeline (obvious with older cpu) versus huge, unpredictable performance drop when using certain effects or tools (making the program almost unworkable) because older cpu doesn't have newer instruction sets, functions etc.?

I am aware that answer to that question may be difficult to predict :)

@2Buckey

CPU performance scaling dont matter at all anymore in both AVC and HEVC formats once this year ends anyways. The amount of load a hardware decoder and encoder picks up is too substantial for us to ever consider our beloved old workflows.

The absolute best CPU performance you can get in HitFilm, would be a quad core CPU with an unlocked multiplier, overclocking it to oblivion, and with simultaneous multithreading disabled.

One of the exceptions to this is if the files youre working with are not AVC or HEVC compliant, meaning not in H.264 and H.265. GPU hardware decoding is the new king, and as a result, all older workflows including transcoding to intermediate codecs have become obsolete, unless you need to transcode to go from variable framerate to constant framerate.

The other exception is if your workflow requires multitasking, meaning youre moving between different programs throughout the editing process. A quad core with smt disabled would choke hard and end up crashing everything all the time. But, its exciting none the less.

What this means is that people can save a lot of money when configuring a PC for use with HitFilm starting as early as next year, or December of this year if all goes to plan, since both HitFilm Express 16 and Pro 16 are scheduled to arrive in less than a month from now.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@kevin_n

The absolute best CPU performance you can get in HitFilm, would be a quad core CPU with an unlocked multiplier, overclocking it to oblivion, and with simultaneous multithreading disabled.

I think it is a bit dangerous to recommend turning of SMT in general. It is pretty much always a winner or it just does not make a difference. It is rarely a loser. The Ryzen thermal clock boost function might affect SMT in some things like games on mega core CPUs.

I do agree about getting your CPU clock as high as possible for Hitfilm. In general of course, but more so Hitfilm.

GPU hardware decoding is the new king

So long as the AVC/HEVC is not 4:2:2 or 10-bit.

A quad core with smt disabled would choke hard and end up crashing everything all the time.

I do not understand the crashing reference. Choking something is not going to induce crashes. Bugs induce crashes. At light load or full load it does not matter.

edited November 21

@NormanPCN

Theoretical, not really my recommendation. Spending more money often gives you more cores, but lower clocks. It's an important distinction to make, one that i failed on Norman-san. :(

But in terms of crashing, I've found it to be true with Corel and HitFilm running adjacent to one another on seperate monitors - a typical multitasking scenario. Bugs or not, CPU hangs or unnecessary delays or not, its an issue.

In any case, i'm an enthusiast so generally i'm leaning towards efficiency.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@kevin_n

Spending more money often gives you more cores, but lower clocks.

Agreed. You gotta know your app and how it scales.

In many ways this is why I have a 9900K. It can make and sustain very high clocks. I wanted raw thread speed. 8 core is more than enough for me. I run it at a flat 4.8-5Ghz and I keep the temps below 85C air cooled.

Speaking of SMT, I can run a slightly higher clock at the same temp, say 83C in CPU meltdown type app if I disable SMT. This is of course because SMT really does work and when SMT is on the CPU can and does do more work. App dependent. Not Hitfilm of course. With my air cooler 5Ghz cannot stay below 85C. Normal apps are okay but not the badA apps. x264 is one of those badA apps.

When I built the new machine I could feel the increased perf of the new CPU in the Hitfilm particle sim which is single threaded.

edited November 22

@NormanPCN My next PC upgrade will be me first selling my AMD CPU + platform for Intel for the same reasons. I've found that even in multitasking workflows, AMD Ryzen don't really shine anymore due to the improvements in decoding and encoding, like AVC, like HEVC (soon). But also for games that I play which rely heavily on single core perf and barely loads anything of importance to adjacent threads (I simrace in off seasons)... The performance difference between Intel and AMD as a whole is so high, that you don't notice it unless testing in specific, pre-made scenarios like the particle sim or w/e. Testing strictly for the difference in IPC makes sense, not so much for max thread loads which you're not going to be achieving anytime soon, scaling all the way up to a huge number of threads - pointless!

Thanks guys for such comprehensive answers and perspectives of modern trends! When I upgraded my old graphic card to RTX 2060s my PC with i7 3770k gained new life. New programs that use GPU sped up to a whole new level (Blender, Hitfilm, Affinity, games too). Speed of my cpu is sufficient for now with new setup.