Jaw Dropping Analogue Motion Graphic Machine

HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 326 Enthusiast
edited October 13 in General

@Triem23 @FilmSensei @ceaugo @TheBenNorris

You gentlemen have probably seen this in reali life, but incase you haven't:

https://youtu.be/0wxc3mKqKTk

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

I have never seen a Scanmate, so good find! 😁

Not certain when the Wikipedia page was last updated, but they list one Scanmate as still in use, having been retrofitted for 1080p work.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Wow! That was really cool. I had no idea that this existed.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

I have a feeling that machine is older than me, looks pretty cool.

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 326 Enthusiast

A part of me wonders what would happen if this was given to a modern artist who was taught the knots and bolts of this machine.

Also - I'll never complain about the limitations of any software ever again! Lol

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

@Hictor just think that the 90's Trek shows - Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise - used a Quantel Paintbox, a $300,000 dollar machine, to do phaser blasts. It's not an exaggeration to say Hitfilm Express packs the power of a million dollar edit suite from 25 years ago!

I'll admit in 2020 I often wish for faster, better, cheaper, but then I remember where we used to be vs what we have and am freshly amazed by what can be done on a $200 laptop with free software and a phone. 😊

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 326 Enthusiast
  • alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast
    edited October 16

Crazy, somehow I never really thought of pre digital mograph as anything other than cartoon style animation, that's.Really cool. We may be able to do a lot more with digital, but I really believe that something was lost when analog became obsolete. Mp3 and Jpeg may be clearer and smaller then vinyl and film, but there is something about being able 'see and touch' your files is really amazing, it's still physically understandable.

Oh well, just my thoughts, I may have been born in the digital age, but some of my friends swear I must be a time traveler from the 30's X-P

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador
    edited October 16

I'll just leave this right here: https://youtu.be/wSNwBgO5qVY Flashing lights and mylar at $10,000/day. Who knew?

BTW, I believe Scanimate was developed by Computer Image Corporation in Denver. One of the principals was Lee Harrison who was a colleague of my former boss Dr. Steve Cohen who wanted to use the Scanimate for weather graphics . Dr. Cohen founded Z-Axis Corporation in Denver and it was the first company to receive a Bosch FGS 4000, which like Scanimate, was a real time animation system - but in 3D. I came onboard when they moved to Wavefront.

I produced a retirement video for Dr. Cohen (circa 1999?) and interviewed the people who fought to keep the company afloat. It also includes a brief history of computer graphics that pretty much brought us from rooms of expensive equipment that only did one thing to desktop software available to anyone. Will try and cut that down when I get a chance and post it here.

@Stargazer54 nice! (also, "Flying [sphincter] Wipes!")

Ah, takes me back to the analog days. I won't deny I can do it faster, cheaper and (usually) better in 2020, but I admit cobbling things together and figuring it out was more fun.

I remember being a teen, passing a VHS deck to another deck, diverting the audio through a mixer with a sampling keyboard and "playing" all by Foley and sound effects in real-time during the dub. Among other hacks.