[ENHANCEMENT] Additional Map types for 3D models

Triem23Triem23 ModeratorModerator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador
  • Reflection Maps - OK, this is hard to implement since the Specular Map is currently doing double duty, but the workaround there is for the updated Hitfilm to simply assign the same map and values to any older projects.
  • Refraction Maps.
  • Opacity Maps - useful for free models where only one material is used and that single material covers metal and glass. Also great for a lot of the tree models out there that use a low-res texture mapped poly for leaves rather than a ton of geometry.
  • Emission Maps/Self-Illumination Maps- Already have emission color. Also really helpful for anyone animating, say, a Star Trek ship in Hitfilm so we don't have to attach all the spotlights on the hull.
  • AO Maps (in the long run, would an AO map render faster since Hitfilm would no longer have to calculate it?)
  • Metalness Maps.

Other considerations.

(Digression rant: OK, the term "PBR" has become generically overused to the point of being meaningless. Both the Blinn-Phong and Cook-Torrance render engines in Hitfilm are PBR models. Cook-Torrance is more advanced, of course. Lambert is another PBR engine. The engines being generically referred to as "PBR" are "Distributed BSDF" render engines - based off a Disney-developed algorithm. To anyone else reading this, STOP SAYING "PBR!" End of rant)

Ok, now that's done... Different maps are optimized for different render engines. Metalness and Specular are quite similar, and having both might be meaningless in Cook Torrance. As already mentioned, since Hitfilm generates it's own AO, maybe we don't need AO maps. if I had to pick three they'd be:

1. Reflection
  2. Opacity
  3. Self-Illumination

Second digression, and this is more for users than the devs. Here's a link to a discussion of the development of the Principled BSDF physically-based rendering developed at Disney Studios. You'll notice mention is made of several different "PBR" render engine types, and you'll see a graph comparing the render performance of several different PBR engines, including the Blinn-Phong and Cook-Torrance engines used in Hitfilm (I TOLD you Hitfilm already does "PBR."). Actually, this might be useful to the Hitfilm devs!

https://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2012-shading-course/burley/s2012_pbs_disney_brdf_slides_v2.pdf

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,207 Moderator
    edited October 12

@Triem23 I don't know if other Users will find it interesting but you know I added it to my archive... that's getting big enough I need to organize with an index or Tab le of Contents :)

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,839 Ambassador

I can already use any type of 3D texture map for my 3D models in Hitfilm. Have been able to do this since Hitfilm 2 Ultimate using a little something the professionals call... ahem, render passes. As you know... my videos are all about render passes in Hitfilm. :)

I can use any 3D texture map from any render engine in Hitfilm. :)

If we could instead of what you're asking, have the possibility for one texture map to hold multiple maps in any of the rgba channels. That would be great. I know how to paint these types of maps from my time working for video game makers back in 2015 and 2016 were I built several dozens of super high poly and low poly 3D assets.

Either way, extra texture maps are a pretty good idea but then that depends on who painted them. Ao maps, Normal maps, Bump maps and Specular maps will certainly display any bad topology and shading errors, especially in a picky render engine like Hitfilm.