Hitfilm Express Crashing

Annolyn
Annolyn Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I've been using Hitfilm Express since 2018, but since the last two updates, it won't stop crashing. I can barely get anything done and am lucky to even save a project before it dumps. I've updated drivers, dedicated a GPU (NVIDIA), nothing seems to fix it. Not doing anything fancy; 2-5 minute videos with just added audio (music) and a few transition effects between video clips. 1080p Full HD @ 25fps 1920 x 1080 pixels. I'm not that tech savvy but am wondering if my computer is just too gimp to run Hitfilm Express? Any thoughts? Suggestions?

OS Name            Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer            Microsoft Corporation

System Name   DESKTOP-FEPA7BE

System Manufacturer   HP

System Model  HP ENVY All-in-One 27-b2XX

System Type     x64-based PC

System SKU       3LA04AA#ABA

Processor           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700T CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date         AMI F.73, 1/7/2020

SMBIOS Version              3.2

Embedded Controller Version   22.50

BIOS Mode        UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer            HP

BaseBoard Product         8419

BaseBoard Version         A01

Platform Role    Desktop

Secure Boot State           On

PCR7 Configuration        Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory         C:\WINDOWS

System Directory             C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device       \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale  United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer       Version = "10.0.18362.752"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)            16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB

Available Physical Memory         10.5 GB

Total Virtual Memory    18.2 GB

Available Virtual Memory            11.2 GB

Page File Space 2.38 GB

Name   Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Adapter RAM    1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Driver Version  26.20.100.7926

Resolution         2560 x 1440 x 59 hertz

Bits/Pixel            32

Name   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Adapter Type    GeForce GTX 1050, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description       NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Adapter RAM    (1,048,576) bytes

Driver Version  27.21.14.5148

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,005 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2020

Hi,

Low on time to dig into this, but I can answer

I'm not that tech savvy but am wondering if my computer is just too gimp to run Hitfilm Express?

You're way above min specs, both iGPU and GPU. Drivers look good also. I wish everybody submitted reports like that.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador

What @kevin_n said.

A couple of things that immediately come to mind:

• Your Nvidia driver might be a little older. Current version is: 27.21.14.5638. Note that HP may be limiting your driver, and you might have to go to the NVIDIA site to find the most current driver.
    • Your Nvidia 1050 is showing 1GB of VRAM. This should be either 3GB or 6GB, depending on the model (1050, 1050ti). Unless HP's variant cheaped out on the VRAM?
    • Take a look in your Task Manager before opening Hitfilm and see what other programs are running - especially in your Startup tab. There are programs that can cause conflicts with Hitfilm. Support has a better handle on that.

Otherwise, you are far enough above minimum specs where things should be stable. I'd say look on the Nvidia site for the most recent Driver. If that doesn't work, you might need to contact Support directly. This is a User forum (Mods and Ambassador's don't work for FXHOME, we're volunteers who kill spam), so, if it's not a simple fix, like a bad driver, there's not much advice we can give.

This is the most recent driver for the 1050. This is dated October 7, 2020, so it's the brand new one.

Hitfilm Support:

• Annolyn
    Annolyn Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Thank you @kevin_n and @Triem23 for replying! Your input and help is much appreciated.

• Your Nvidia 1050 is showing 1GB of VRAM. This should be either 3GB or 6GB, depending on the model (1050, 1050ti). Unless HP's variant cheaped out on the VRAM?

HP probably did cheap out. This computer has actually been very frustrating to work with and I regret buying it nearly every day. It's great for average day-to-day things, but trying to run Finale (music notation software), connect my digital piano for MIDI, or run Hitfilm Express ALWAYS results in some issue every single time from latency to just straight-up dumping. And because it's an "all-in-one" (hardcore facepalm) it's extremely difficult to modify. [end rant]

But thank you again! I'll continue to troubleshoot and will contact support if it's not the driver.