CPU for HitFilm 2 Ultimate

Purely out of interest:
I've noticed Hitfilm have updated their recommended hardware requirements for Windows PC's, and it now says for a CPU it's best to have an i5, i7 or Xeon CPU. Does this mean I should really be getting an Intel CPU in the future?  I know AMD are cheaper and don't have hyper-threading and it's really down to personal preference, I'm just wondering if there's a reason they've changed the requirements to Intel CPU's only...
Also I have an AMD FX4170, should I be upgrading it soon now I'm working with 1080 to 4k-ish footage?

Comments

• Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,517 Staff
    Purely out of interest:
    I've noticed Hitfilm have updated their recommended hardware requirements for Windows PC's, and it now says for a CPU it's best to have an i5, i7 or Xeon CPU. Does this mean I should really be getting an Intel CPU in the future?  I know AMD are cheaper and don't have hyper-threading and it's really down to personal preference, I'm just wondering if there's a reason they've changed the requirements to Intel CPU's only...
    Also I have an AMD FX4170, should I be upgrading it soon now I'm working with 1080 to 4k-ish footage?

Hi,
    I think you're getting confused, the Mac specs state Intel i3, i5 & i7 chips as those are the most likely to be new enough to have the requirements for our software. There haven't been AMD CPU Mac's since 2006, naturally these Mac's are way below our minimum specifications so we have Intel chips as the lowest supported CPU.
    On the PC, the AMD chip is supported, the minimum supported AMD CPU is the AMD Athlon 64, as you can see by looking at our minimum requirements page.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Ady