Desktop Shopping Help

BradenHarper
BradenHarper Posts: 2
Greetings fellow HitFilmakers,
I am in the process of shopping for a new desktop that is game enough to meet the recommended hardware requirements. I have found a decent Alienware desktop (listed below) and it appears to meet the requirements for Hitfilm. I understand that I may need to replace the graphics card, but aside from that I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether this is a good option to run Hitfilm? Or if anyone would have any other suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ~ Thanks
Link

Comments

• CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    Alienware is a rip off in most cases. Just make sure you look into the graphics card and such from whatever else company. 600$ can stretch much much more.... Expecially if it's custom built
    If you want to be adventerous
    Pcpartpicker.com is a good place to start a diy desktop... And they have a great community.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,062 Ambassador
    edited July 2014
    Agree with Caleb. With Alienware you pay extra for the brand name. PCpartpicker is good or XoticPC.com. Any of the sites that cater to custom gaming rigs will have the best power/price rations.
  • Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,514 Staff
    Greetings fellow HitFilmakers,
    I am in the process of shopping for a new desktop that is game enough to meet the recommended hardware requirements. I have found a decent Alienware desktop (listed below) and it appears to meet the requirements for Hitfilm. I understand that I may need to replace the graphics card, but aside from that I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether this is a good option to run Hitfilm? Or if anyone would have any other suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ~ Thanks
    Link

Hi,
    I agree with Triem23 & Caleb K, Alienware is a good brand but you can most likely get more bang for your buck if you were to build the machine yourself. The machine itself is only an i3, which although good, you can do so much better. The other downside to this machine appears to be space, the case looks fairly tiny, modern GPU's can get quite big & output some high temperatures, trapping it inside a small case is likely to cook your components.  
    Building a machine is easy, but I appreciate not everyone has the confidence to do these things so there is no harm in buying an branded PC if it makes you feel more comfortable. Especially as if things go wrong, you will get some after sales support where as if you build it yourself, it's on you to fix it.
    So to summarise, if you feel comfortable buying & building the machine yourself, then by all means use PCPartPicker or XoticPC, but if you want the added security of a branded PC, then you could do a lot worse than buying an Alienware.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    Id be willing to shake a stick at pcpart picking your a computer, if you tell me a budget range and what you use hit film for, and what other heavy programs you use.
  • Thanks so much for the offer Caleb! But I believe I will start looking to customize a new computer on my own. I was a bit hesitant to blatantly buy a new desktop, especially looking at replacing the graphics card. (which would have cost an additional $300 or so) I may know a thing a thing or two about movies, but computers are completely another thing! Anyways thanks everyone for your time and advice! :~)
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,062 Ambassador
    Just to plug Xoticpc.com again, (or other sites aimed at gamers), something like this company has most of the advantages of building your own, combined with the advantage of they will do the build for you. I went with Xotic on my last PC purchase, and found they had excellent customer service and excellent configuration options.
    For example (this won't apply to you because you're looking at a desktop), with my current laptop, Xotic had a monitor option for a "high-gamut" monitor that displayed over 90% of the NTSC gamut. Most laptop panels only display around 50% of the NTSC gamut. Obviously, doing video, I wanted a wider color gamut--it means I can trust my eyes more, as well as my scopes, for color grades. This moniotor option was just not available, at all, from Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Alienware, etc.
    Final note--the laptop I purchased from Xotic cost me $2200. The Alienware laptop I was looking at with the same specs (except without the high-gamut monitor) would have been $4500 for the same CPU/GPU/RAM/drive configuration. And the Sager I bought from Xotic came without all the bloatware you get from a Sony/Toshiba/Dell/Alienware machine!
    Good luck with your new machine!