[FEATURE] Nested Layers/Layer Groups

borkiaborkia Website User Posts: 28 Enthusiast
edited October 2020 in HitFilm

I think Nested layers or layer groups in composite shoots would be extremely helpful to organize projects, and the ability to apply effects to the groups would be great as well!

I work with tens of images and sound files to create animatics for my projects and each time I need this feature so badly!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,669 Ambassador

Hitfim has always allowed you to nest Composite Shots. You can drag any Comp from the Media Bin to a layer in an existing Comp, and you can right click layers in Comps to create nests from existing media. Once a nested Comp is on a timeline you can add effects to the embedded layer, which applies the effect to everything in it.

See Section "6.5 Embedding Composite Shots."

• borkiaborkia Website User Posts: 28 Enthusiast
    edited October 2020

Thank You, @Triem23 . I use this approach, but it is not the same, as suggested feature, as we can not edit one composite shot and preview the edits influence on another one.

On the other hand creating lots of composite shots make the project media management much harder.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,014 Enthusiast
    edited October 2020

I think this feature request is talking about a composite order hierarchy. This is effectively what nested comps are, and provide us, but as stated there are limitations. One as previously stated and also one cannot have a single layer, like a point layer, be referenced in multiple composites.

Another thing is grade layers. The good thing about them is that they affect everything below. That is also the bad thing about them. With a hierarchy a grade layer could only affect the layers in its hierarchy group (children).

Vegas has such a feature I would support something as such. I've previously suggested such.

• jackschoeningjackschoening Website User Posts: 89 Enthusiast

I think being able to merge clips in the editor timeline should be a thing. Although you can do this by dragging a composite shot from the media panel to the timeline. I still think there should be an option to merge video in the timeline without all of these work-arounds.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,669 Ambassador

@jackschoening I have merged your thread with an existing older thread with the same request. Make sure you hit Up Vote at the top of the thread.