How to Add Proper Motion Blur in Hitfilm thats not so Flickery and Jittery

So, I play this game called Rainbow Six Siege and I make montages with that game. I am trying to add motion blur and everyone recommends putting in 360 degree shutter angle, 0 shutter phase, and 10 samples. But when I exported it, its very glitchy. People say its just because the motion blur is kinda bad. Is there better settings or whatnot. I can upload like part of the video if you want to see?

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert

@briancatmaster Back in June @Triem23 responded to another user with this post. Hope it helps you out:

June 2019

Proper Motion Blur settings require a little basic math. 

The motion blur effect controls work on a "film" model. A film shutter is a spinning round disc with a notch cut out. When the notch passes over the film, light reaches it. 

The "normal" motion blur setting is 1/2 of the frame rate. A 1080-degree shutter exposes for half a circle.

Video cameras (including DSLR/MFT/Mirrorless cameras work in fractions of a second. So, for a camera shooting 30 fps "normal" shutter speed is 1/60, which equals a 180 degree shutter.

A "proper" motion blur depends on knowing your frame rate and shutter speed. This will provide a fraction used to divide the 360 degrees of a circle.

Examples: 30 fps, 1/60 shutter. 30 is half of 60. Half of 360 is 180. That's a 180 degree shutter.

30 fps, 1/250 shutter: 250/30=8.33. 360/250=43.2. 43.2 shutter angle.

Shutter Phase should be "negative 1/2" of the angle. Proper Shutter Phase for a 180 degree shutter is -90. Proper Shutter Phase for a 43.2 shutter angle is -21.6.

That said, the Motion Blur effect isn't designed to just drop on an entire video clip. Motion blur can only track pixel movement within a frame. If you drop motion blur on, say GoPro footage it's not going to look realistic. It's not calculating camera movements, just tracking pixels. The motion blur effect is designed to be used on isolated elements to help them blend. For example maybe I've shot an actor on greenscreen with a lightsaber and I've shot a 1/500 shutter so I have a sharp stick to guide my lightsword placement. Perhaps I'd drop a motion blur effect on the actor to help the actor blend into a BG plate shot at a 1/48 shutter.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,603 Ambassador

@tddavis I actually have to partially retract that post. I have recently learned via communications with the devs Hitfilm's motion blur has been tweaked compared to other software and the default settings are actually correct. Ignore the part about changing the Shutter Phase. Hitfilm auto adjusts Phase so that "0" represents the "negative one half" everyone else does. Hitfilm's Shutter Phase control represents an offset from that correct setting.

Otherwise, to expand a bit on what you pasted in before, the motion blur EFFECT is tracking relative pixel movements in-frame and is more optimized for X/Y (left, right, up, down) motion. Z-movement (in/out, forward/backwards) is a lot trickier - and is for ANY motion blur effect.

Remember, the NLE doesn't "know" what anything is. With @briancatmaster's first person shooter Hitfilm doesn't see a HUD, gun, environment and targets, it sees colored dots. The motion blur effect tries to figure out movement by how the dots change, but it's looking at, remember, X/Y movement. When running forward in a FPS game Hitfilm doesn't have any sense of depth. That forward motion is being collapsed into left, right, up, down motion, which won't look right.

Again, this will happen with any motion blur effect.

For forward motion mist game editors are keyframe animating a Zoom Blur - which specifically fakes a Z-blur based on the defined center point. That's what you should try.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert
    edited October 2020

@Triem23 Thank you. Appended to me files 😁

• briancatmaster
    briancatmaster Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

So should I have 360 or 180 shutter angle?

• briancatmaster

Also will upping the samples make it less jittery because in the video that I made it was so jittery.

Heres a link to it: https://youtu.be/Pon1iY3Y1i8

(I'm not advertising I just need help)

• briancatmaster

When theres like a large movement it just like flashing and is kindy annoying. Is there anyway to fix this or is it just how motion blur work.