How come effects lab pro owners don't get hitfilm?

FXhomer108637FXhomer108637 Website User Posts: 2
If we spent are money buying effects lab pro, how come hitfilm (which is basically just a really upgraded version of ELP) doesn't come free. I still try to use elb and it's almost non functional due to the lack of updates. I would really appreciate some explanations here. 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador
    If you bought Adobe Photoshop CS2, you don't get free upgrades to CS3-CC.
    FxHome continues active development on new products. They maintain a staff who need to earn a living. They need to be paid. Therefore, FxHome cannot afford to give away the newest software for a purchase of seven-year-old software.
    Additionally, while many of the features in Hitfilm are similar to ELP, since 2008 there have been many changes in computer power and OS. ELP was a 32-bit program. Hitfilm is 64-bit. And, of course, Windows 7 and 8 came out, new GPU's, changes to OpenGL/CL. Chances are Hitfilm is 100% new code, compared with ELP.
    Now, before someone brings Blender into this discussion, Blender is awesome, and free... Blender 2.0 was released in 2002, and has just hit v.2.7. That's slow development. Why? It's free, and open source, which means developers work in their spare time, for fun. If Blender were still being developed under a revenue model, I **** well guarantee you that it's terrible interface would have been addressed over the last 12 years.
    As a Hitfilm Ultimate 2 owner (who is not affiliated with FxHome), I certainly don't expect a free Hitfilm 3. I expect a discounted upgrade path, about 33-50% below retail. I suspect when Hitfilm 1 was released there was a similar offer for ELP owners.
    To be blunt, your expectation is unrealistic, unreasonable and selfish. Find me ANY commercial NLE or compositing program that offers free upgrades for new version numbers (like FCP 7 vs FCP X), much less a new product!
    On a similar note, I wouldn't expect a free copy of Hitfilm Plug-ins for being a Hitfilm Ultimate owner--similar functionality, but FxHome spent time and money creating new code so Hitfilm tech would play nicely inside AE, Vegas, Avid and FCP. I would expect (and, in fact have) a discounted price.
    If an FxHome staff member responds to this, he/she will likely say the same thing--but maybe nicer.
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Short answer:  Hitfilm is not an update of any previous software, it's completely new, and has completely different functionality.
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    I got a good discount to get Hitfilm version 1 in that time.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    If I'm not mistaken, when HItfilm originally came out July 2011 (three years ago), I was also offered a discounted upgrade to Hitfilm from Effects Lab Lite even though Hitfilm is an entirely new product. I think it is comparable to someone switching from Apple Motion to Adobe After Effects, those are created by two different companies but my point is that Hitfilm is entirely different from Effects Lab, Composite Lab, and Vision Lab.
  • dancerchrisdancerchris Website User Posts: 76 Just Starting Out
    edited July 2014
    Sounds like a Troll.  Joined day of post.  Post first one.  Ridiculous complaint.
  • MandalorianMandalorian Website User Posts: 79

Like others have said, it's a new product entirely, and basically only shares the company with ELP.  Almost everything else has changed.  When Hitfilm first came out, I was offered a discount for having Visionlab.  So the discount did exist, but for obvious reasons, discounts like that can't last forever, so you're out of luck now.
    And yeah, could be a troll, but whatever.  On rare occasions, they can spark interesting discussions.  ;)

Now, before someone brings Blender into this discussion, Blender is awesome, and free... Blender 2.0 was released in 2002, and has just hit v.2.7. That's slow development. Why? It's free, and open source, which means developers work in their spare time, for fun. If Blender were still being developed under a revenue model, I **** well guarantee you that it's terrible interface would have been addressed over the last 12 years.

Haha, I find it kind of funny that Blender made it into this discussion at all, since it is completely different from hitfilm in regards to development and funding.
    Regardless, I think this does merit some discussion, even if it is off topic.
    I wouldn't say Blender has slow development.  Sure it's gone from 2.25 to 2.71 in that long time, but they've been going in 0.01 increments, not to mention a few A and B releases every now and then.  The rate at which Blender grows and improves is astonishing, especially for software that is open source.
    While their interface can definitely be confusing, especially with the new tabs, it's far superior to the old interface they had in 2.49 and previous releases.  That interface was atrocious.
    There are also many full-time Blender developers who are supported by donations to the Blender Foundation, as well as income from the blender.org store.  Now there are also lots of new sponsors coming in through the Blender Cloud, so it's really starting to explode.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff
    edited June 2016
    If we spent are money buying effects lab pro, how come hitfilm (which is basically just a really upgraded version of ELP) doesn't come free. I still try to use elb and it's almost non functional due to the lack of updates. I would really appreciate some explanations here.

There isn't really much need for me to reply here as our great users have beaten me to it.
    Essentially though @FXhomer108627, EffectsLab Pro is a very old product and something which has hugely different functionality to the more recent HitFilm series. FXHOME works extremely hard to ensure that when we bring out an upgrade, it is filled with new and exciting features making it worth the investment (for example the groundbreaking particle simulator and 3D model import in HitFilm 2 Ultimate).
    The reason EffectsLab Pro is virtually non-functional is because it's from 2005 (a good 9 years old) and so we are now unable to support it as modern day computers have advanced beyond its original capabilities. I would be interested to know where you bought it from though?
    We do offer users who have purchased old software an upgrade price (as Majahr mentioned) but EffectsLab Pro is so old that you will now be unable to get a discounted price - showing you just how little it has in common with the new, improved HitFilm series.

• rick1rick1 Website User Posts: 204 Enthusiast
    Well said Triem23
  • FXhomer108637FXhomer108637 Website User Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    Wow. I feel stupid now.
    I didn't even know about the discount neither the release of HITFILM 1. I'm sorry for the trouble. I was mistaken
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador
    edited June 2016
    Like others have said, it's a new product entirely, and basically only shares the company with ELP.  Almost everything else has changed.  When Hitfilm first came out, I was offered a discount for having Visionlab.  So the discount did exist, but for obvious reasons, discounts like that can't last forever, so you're out of luck now.
    And yeah, could be a troll, but whatever.  On rare occasions, they can spark interesting discussions.  ;)

Haha, I find it kind of funny that Blender made it into this discussion at all, since it is completely different from hitfilm in regards to development and funding.
    Regardless, I think this does merit some discussion, even if it is off topic.
    I wouldn't say Blender has slow development.  Sure it's gone from 2.25 to 2.71 in that long time, but they've been going in 0.01 increments, not to mention a few A and B releases every now and then.  The rate at which Blender grows and improves is astonishing, especially for software that is open source.
    While their interface can definitely be confusing, especially with the new tabs, it's far superior to the old interface they had in 2.49 and previous releases.  That interface was atrocious.
    There are also many full-time Blender developers who are supported by donations to the Blender Foundation, as well as income from the blender.org store.  Now there are also lots of new sponsors coming in through the Blender Cloud, so it's really starting to explode.

I stand (well, I'm sitting) corrected.
    I brought up Blender because there've occasionally been other threads about Hitfilm updates and cost, and in many of those Blender comes up in discussion. While the Blender Foundation DOES have some full-time developers, it's still under a different model from FxHome or Adobe. I agree, it's apples/oranges, but it's come up before, since Blender does have some basic video editing tools, along with it's 3D model/animation/compositing support. :-)

Wow. I feel stupid now.

FXhomer108637 . You asked something you honestly didn't understand, and now you know. Plus, there's a difference between "stupid" (which is just lacking in ability to process information) vs "ignorant" (which is just not having information.)
    I apologize if I was a little snarky in my intital reply. You're not the first to ask a similar question on this forum, and you won't be the last--it seems to come up every two-three months or so. :-)
    If the current cost of Hitfilm Ultimate isn't in your budget, start saving and have some patience--FxHome seems to have a good discount sale every 4-6 months or so, and Tubetape.net has had two weekend sales this year where Hitfilm Ultimate was 50% off. Either Adorama or B&H had a weekend special on hitfilm once this year at 33% off, so, if you're thinking of upgrading, you might get lucky enough to be shopping around when there's a sale.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    It's also worth noting that EffectsLab does still work on the computers and operating systems that it was designed for, almost a decade ago. :)
  • CyberLeech205CyberLeech205 Website User Posts: 1

Composite Lab Pro and Effects Lab Pro are still functional. Even using Windows 10!!! The only thing I can't get to work is a rendered video. Something is going on with the 'export' funtion. It doesn't seem to export a working video. But I can import and add special effects to videos still.