could not intiaizle the cfhd encorder error 48. Any idea what this means?

GarethOwen
GarethOwen Website User Posts: 227 Enthusiast

Hey everyone,

I have just received this issue from trying to render mov sequence pro res 4444. I decided to update from 14.3 to 15.1 A few minuets ago. then I somehow i get my first render error? I have never seen this message before for all my time as a Pro user

I have been using 14.3 all week and last night and everything was sweet.

(could not intiaizle the cfhd encorder error 48) - Never heard of this before?

any ideas what it means?

So then i changed the export name then got a new random message.

I have just closed the software down and now the previous message has came back up when i tried again?

Any suggestions

many thanks

Gareth

Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2020

Unsure what that error code actually means.

Contact support for further assistance: https://fxhome.com/questions/submit

• GarethOwen

Same me either. i was using 14.3 fine when rendering proress 4444.

yeah i have closed it serval times and even reinstalled it to the same issue. I may have to reintstall the older version of 14.3 as it was smooth when rendering. If the issue re occurs i will raise a ticket. As far as i am aware everything is up to date. I willl keep trying to see if i can find out what the issue is.

• GarethOwen

I changed the aspect ratio project file as it was in portrait mode, maybe that's why it wouldn't render but i got it to work now for now

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    edited October 2020

I happen to have found out what that error means. I am testing for FXHOME right now, and I looked at this yesterday.

Check the dimensions of the project file/comp shot - with certain encoders the horizontal dimension must be divisible by 16 and the vertical dimension divisible by 8. This error relates to "illegal"dimensions. The error message will be changed to specify the illegal dimensions in a future version.

@KirstieT in the interests of honesty and transparency, this response might be in violation of my NDA as I've directly referenced something I've tested. Should I delete this response, or can I get away with this little tidbit? It's not a new feature, just a clarified error message.

• GarethOwen

illegal dimensions? that's weird how is aspect ration and project setting classed as that. surely as soon as you working on it then you press render it should then render to the size of the video?

Thank you for finding it out there Triem, incase it happens again to any other users who then get confused or frustrated or something, If i do render to Facebook or Instagram i will use the template for them and render to mp4 and keep the big stuff to the right project size :)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador

It's about the codec limitations. Most codecs, when compressing work in "macroblocks," which are usually multiples of 8 or 16. Consider the image below.

This represents a low quality JPEG image saved from Krita, but it shows an exaggerated example of the macroblocks. All that rectangular distortion is showing the individual macroblocks.

The Cineform codec has been standardized by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers as "VC-5," so the Cineform standard is pretty locked. Cineform's macroblocks are 16 pixels wide, 8 pixels high. 1080/16=67.5.

If you are exporting vertical video in Cineform it needs to be 1072x1980 or 1088x1980. Again, this isn't a "bug" or a "Hitfilm problem," it's how the codec was standardized (Cineform was standardized before the rise of phone video made vertical video popular.

If you export mp4, mp4 does 8x8 macroblocks, and 1080 divides cleanly into 8. 1080x1920 is legal.

So, yeah, bottom line, vertical Cineform should be 1072/1088x1920.

• GarethOwen

This is way to complicated for me to fully get the grasps but i kind of get it.

Thank you for the breakdown of this and the meaning be hide what its all about.

• GarethOwen

I will remember what to do next time :)