wind blow paper in hitfilm particle

Comments

• markluck
    markluck Posts: 24 Just Starting Out*

It seems like @ @JavertValbarr would know the answer to this?

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 386 Enthusiast

I don't think it's possible for Hitfilm to simulate things like paper or fabric in the wind but here is a particle system with atomic particles set to simulate some paper like tumble and distortion. I uploaded the project file if you wanna use it as a starting point and improve on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sr6mel1zpqre6ct/Faux%20Paper.hfp?dl=0

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

The short answer is "not as well as Blender. But you could always follow that Blender tutorial then render from Blender to Hitfilm for composite and GFX.

The long answer is the particle sim has deflectors, so you can build a floor. It has forces, so you can set up wind and gravity. There's turbulence and lifetime control, so you can randomize your particles you'll have to bake in some animation for the particles.

The bottom line is no one can give you a "laundry list" for this unless they've built it. Physics sims always take experimentation.

• markluckey
    markluckey Posts: 32 Just Starting Out*

Thx @Triem23 and @Dimipapa

Thanks for the help. @Dimipapa I was only able to open the file in hitfilm express because I am using hitfilm pro 14 and I think you crested this in HFP15. I was able to open it in express to see what you did and I will try to duplicate your settings in hitfilm pro 14.

@Triem23 thanks for that insight, I will go back to blender and try once again to follow that tutorial.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

For the particle sim texture, I wonder if one created a plane and used the BCC layer deformer on that to give bends, twists, curls and such to get something not flat for the paper. Animate this and then use animated particle textures in the PSim.

• Dimipapa

I've never fooled around with that but I dunno if it would work because the plane will always be flat even if it looks otherwise. If you had a 3D model going through those types of transformations and used that as the particle I think that would work but I'm curious either way. If anyone messes around with this effect can you post it here.

• JavertValbarr
    JavertValbarr Staff Posts: 352 Staff

As others have mentioned, the turbulence and wind movement is possible, but the soft paper folding dynamically against itself/other objects is better done in a dedicated 3D software.

• Triem23

@NormanPCN yeah, @Dimipapa is right. You could use Layer Deformer, Atomic or ever Displacement to get some warp on the particle shape, but you have to put it in an embedded comp to bake. The particle sim would treat it as a flat video texture. Maybe an Atomic, displacement, or a touch of distortion could give a nice wobbly look if applied to the particle sim, but to have the particles deform in 3D you've have to bake that as an alembic or FBX animation in Blender and bring that model in to Hitfilm as a model texture. If you've learned how to do that deform in Blender, you've learned almost enough to build the entire system in Blender.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

How about instead of putting the Atomic Particle Effect on the soft paper asset, put it directly onto the Particle Sim itself?

• Dimipapa

That's how I did it.

• FilmSensei
  • Dimipapa

@FilmSensei I posted a video and the project file earlier in this thread. It looks all right, if you squint, but like mentioned HF can't simulate something like paper/fabric.

• FilmSensei

@Dimipapa This is obviously a super fast proof of concept that would need a lot of refining, but this is what I came up with using that technique...

• Dimipapa

@FilmSensei That looks interesting. did you add some twist? It looks very unreal but if you can dial it back while maintaining some of that distortion it could be pretty good.

• markluck
    markluck Posts: 24 Just Starting Out*

This is great. Please do a tutorial, if you will. Hitfilm is very powerful if you know how to make it do what it does.

thanks for sharing

• FilmSensei

@Dimipapa Like I said, it was just a super quick proof of concept experiment. I Created a Comp with the SENSEI letters and the Background Plane. That Comp was the Layer referenced in the Particle Sim. To the Sim itself I added the Atomic Particles Effect. I think I changed the Displacement Strength to 150 and the Wavelength to 10% (maybe?). Needless to say, a lot of work would have to go into it to get it to look like papers blowing around, that's for sure! :)

• Dimipapa

@FilmSensei I had a crazy idea after seeing another question about rolling text. I took some text, created a bunch of i's like IIIIIIIIII then used the spacing and stretching tools to make it look like a solid sheet of paper so I could use the bend geometry effect on it. So I animated some bends, had it be it's own composite shot. Then tried to use that as the particle to see if it would work. So it did not work. I'm not entirely sure why, the random setting also did not properly show any bends, althought it did make the sheets look like bow ties.

• FilmSensei

@Dimipapa You may have to precomp (create a nested composite shot) the rolling text to get it to work in the particle sim.

• Dimipapa

@FilmSensei how is that different from a regular composite shot? Right now the layer I'm selecting with the text in it is it's own composite shot, is that what you mean or is it something else?

• Triem23

Here's the problem. The particle sim sees the "Raw" state of the text layer - before Effects.

The Geometry effects are, well, effects, so not seen by the sim.

An embedded Composite Shot is, for most intents and purposes, treated as a video clip - at which point it's 2D and you lose the 3D aspects of the Geometry Effects.

You can try switching the embedded Comp to 3D Unrolled, which preserves the full 3D nature of the Comp, but I don't think the Particle Sim can reference a 3D Unrolled comp.

• Dimipapa

@Triem23 Right you are, oh well, it was a long shot anyway.