[FEATURE] Add an Autobackup feature for projects

Andy001z
Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,079 Ambassador

Currently Hitfilm has an auto save, but this feature is flawed if the project is deleted by accident and the project was last saved as all Auto-saves will be deleted.

Feature request is to add an AUTO-BACKUP feature that will as per user configuration save a entire backup of the project or comments as selected by the user. For example Backup options might be:

• Save entire project including media
  • save just project timeline

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,149 Ambassador

@Andy001z I think this would be a great feature, but this could easily get out of hand for disk space if you duplicate the media. Incremental project saves might be a good option. I would certainly want to be able to turn it off, though.

Teaching new users to always save incremental versions is key, though. That goes for any type of computer work - M$ Word documents, spreadsheets, Photoshop files, etc. Auto Backup in HF wouldn't help you in those situations.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 Saving a project with media would be wrong for incremental updates, but it's useful for archiving at the end of a project - Vegas Pro does this (and also has an option to trim and transcode footage used to only save the parts on the timeline with optional handles).

I wouldn't want to save media as part of an autobackup - besides drive space there's the lag as HF starts writing out gigs of footage, but I'd want to as part of an archive save - which would be a different feature.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,079 Ambassador

@Triem23 I agree it would have to be a prompted save something like "Your Project and Media has not been backed up in X number of days"

However I guess we are straying into other backup solutions. Is it really a requirement of FXhome to look after your project media at all, when there are hundreds of ways to perform auto backups.

Maybe the Project element is the key here, this is after all the most critical part of the work flow.

• tomkane18
    tomkane18 Website User Posts: 30 Enthusiast

Having an archive feature once we are finished with a project would be ideal.