Nudging a clip in tiny increments

mackim1949
mackim1949 Posts: 11 Just Starting Out

I'm beginning my first project. I'm using three cameras, each with its own soundtrack plus a master sound track. I'm trying to align the three video/sound clips so the lips sync. I can't find a way to nudge a clip just a tiny bit at a time. Is there a way to do this?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador

In Hitfilm the smallest nudge increment is a frame boundary. With multiple cameras it's possible the source recordings are a fraction of a frame offset from each other. You can not nudge by samples or sub-frames.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@mackim1949 You can only move a clip forward or backward on the Editor Timeline one full frame at a time. So for example, you cannot move half of a frame. The easiest way to move a clip a single frame is to select the clip, then zoom in on the Timeline Scale as much as possible. This can be done by either using the Timeline Scale Slider on the bottom left of the Editor Timeline Panel or by using the shortcuts CTRL + to zoom in and CTRL - to zoom out. Then simple grab the clip and slide it to the left or right. When you do this, there will be a popup informational box that tells you the track that the clip is on as well as the start time and the end time. Those will update in real time as you move the clip. I hope this helps!

• mackim1949
    mackim1949 Posts: 11 Just Starting Out

Yes, very helpful. One full frame at a time is plenty for my purposes. I’m surprised there isn’ a way to nudge it one frame by using the arrow keys.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

I agree that a frame-by-frame nudge feature could be useful. You might think about posting to the Feature Requests category to request this (or upvoting an existing request if one is there already)