What's the next lens on your wishlist?

StevenSpicerStevenSpicer StaffAdministrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 35 Staff

Let's admit it, no matter how many times you think "this is the last lens I'll possibly need", there's always another one that pops up that you've just got to have.

For me, it's the Sigma 85 ART F1.4. I've already got a Sigma ART 24-35 F2 which I absolutely love (the image quality is outstanding for a zoom lens), but I used a friend's 85 recently and it had me earmarking my future savings 😄.

What's the next lens on your list?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,039 Ambassador

First, let me list the ridiculous amount of lenses I have!

Canon 24-70II f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70II f/3.6-5.0, 70-300II f/3.6-5.0

Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8, 100mm macro f/2.8

Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 (APS-C), 12mm f/2.8 (full), 14mm f/2.8

Sigma Sport 150-600mm f/2.8

Lensbaby Composer w all the 50mm optics, aputure kit, macro lenses. I'm forgetting something...

Laowa 24mm 4.5x macro f/2.8

Honestly, probably a nifty-50. The Canon 50mm is the cheap one (under $100) with the joke of a focus ring, so I'm kinda thinking of the 50mm f/1.4.

But another thing I'm thinking about is Canon has discontinued future development of the 5d, 6d and 7d series (I'm on a 5dmkIV), leaving only the Rebels and 1d in development for DSLRs. I expect those will all be discontinued when the new versions come out and Canon will have totally shifted to mirrorless.

So I'm actually debating selling off all of my current cameras and lenses and going mirrorless before time, use and obsolescence completely kills all resale value.

• philipwessonphilipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 95 Staff

I need a new Nifty 50 because mine cracked.. Also I need a solid 22mm for wide shots :(

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,048 Moderator

On my wishlist is a camera that uses changeable lens 😥

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 443 Enthusiast

I am on a canon crop sensor t3i, and have the cheapo kit lenses (18-55 55-250) and a 50mm 1.8 prime, my next lens will probobly be a wide angle large aperture, possible the rokinon 14mm 2.8, or somthing similar.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,039 Ambassador

@alaska_vfx_filmer remember the t3i is an APS-C crop sensor. If you're thinking of the Rokinon 14mm rectilinear as a super wide, then you should be looking at the 10mm. The 14mm is for full-frame and it will chop the edges off on a t3i.

Also note Rokinon, Samyang and Bower are all the same company... Price compare. For whatever reason you can often look at the exact same lens under all three brand names and find one of the three cheaper.

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 443 Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip(s)!

• StevenSpicerStevenSpicer Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 35 Staff

@Triem23 I have a nifty fifty. Phenomenal lens for the price point (and the size). I actually shot on it exclusively for a long time because it's such a versatile lens and pretty sharp. Give me a decent prime over a kit lens any day. One of the great things about it is it's so small that I can easily chuck it in an already full kit bag just in case. It's no Sigma but it definitely holds it's weight against some of the more beastly 50's on the market.

It does at that, and the 50mm, it's absolutely my favorite portrait lens. But, if you've seen the stuff I threw in Dibs' thread my go to's are the 24-70mm and 12mm. Took the Sigma 150-600mm to Antarctica, haven't used it since. Great lens, though.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,340 Enthusiast

Mine would be a Rokinon 135mm F2. Deep sky photography.

• DibsMcCallumDibsMcCallum Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 122 Staff

First off is my wife going to see this 👀

I sold all my Canon stuff back in 2016 and there is more info about that in the link on my blog if interested

2 x 5d mk3, 70-200, 24-105, 24-70, 17-40mm, 14mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm

Now I just enjoy the freedom of my Fuji setup, XT-2 and XT-3 along with the 10-24mm, 16-55mm and 50-140mm and that's it, but I have been looking recently.

What I would love to change is the 10-24mm lens if they ever updated that one so it became weather sealed, that would be a instant purchase regardless of anything as I need it for what I do photo wise.

But during lockdown I did start to enjoy a bit of macro with JJC extension tubes, so I have been looking at a dedicated Macro lens for maximum sharpness, the Fujion 80mm macro is what I have on my radar, but that will be a long while off as the van conversion is top priority right now.

• DibsMcCallumDibsMcCallum Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 122 Staff

@GrayMotion Do you use a star tracker at the moment for seep space work?

I have a few friends who use them and get great results with whatever lens they add onto it, that is also on my Wishlist

• StevenSpicerStevenSpicer Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 35 Staff

I'd love to see the photos from that Antarctica trip @Triem23 !

@StevenSpicer Well, I'll have to find more later since the hard drive those photos are on is acting up (so, whip out the SECOND drive those photos are on....), but here's one taken with the aforementioned Sigma 150-600mm at the far end of that zoom range. The fine detail on the feathers really shows how sharp that lens is.

Aaaaand, one more, taken with the 24-70mm. I just had a 20x30 print made of this one...

As far as the rest of the pics go... Yeah, I'd like to see them too! Between my wife and I we came back with something like 14000 photo and video files...

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,048 Moderator

@Triem23 I remembered seeing some of them back after your trip, but I scoured your post thread and never found them; just a reference to when you were going. Maybe I saw them on your Twitter or something.🤔

@tddavis more likely an Imerge related thread or @DibsMcCallum's thread.

@Triem23 Love that one on the 24-70, what an incredible formation! And damn, that's some sharp lens. Good old Sigma!

• whiesiwhiesi Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I would like to see

40/1.2L (on 1.3X it would be a nice 52mm FoV lens)

200 f/2.8L IS (so that I could leave 70-200IS home on tours).

16 f/2.8L prime with perfectly sharp corners.

200-500 f/4.5L IS (to replace 100-400).